• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't install xp64?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IAmMoen

So I just built a new computer with a opty 170, dfi nf4 sli-dr expert, and 7900gs. I have 3 pata drives and one sata. I want to install windows x64 professional but everytime I boot from the cd i get a message saying "ntldr is corrupt. System cannot boot." But I dont really want to boot into windows I just want to make it to the friggen install screen. Any ideas?

EDIT: alright now I have managed to reformat the drive properly and it is hooked up with the system again. Now I get to the blue windows setup screen but it hangs there and nothing happens. I just want an os!!!

EDIT #2: I was able to install the os but when i try to boot the drive it tells me that the boot.ini is gone and then says that it will try to boot c:/windows/ then says that NTDetect is gone. Dah! Just when I thought it was fixed. Furthermore during one of the subsequent installs (to see if that would help) the installation program didn't copy something correctly and suggested that my cd (possibly bad i guess...) was at fault. I have since then began installing fedora core and it appears to have worked so it is probably not my dvd drive or my harddrive, which leaves the media i guess...

Last edited:
i even go into the boot up menu and select the dvd rom as the device i want to boot from. I just used the ultimate boot cd to delete the old operating system and then tried to boot to the windows install disc and now all i get is a black screen after it says boot from cd? and I press yes of course.

alright now when i put the cd in it says boot from cd:
then after a second it says
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.

I have installed this os using this disk on a new harddrive before so it really should be the full version.

alrighty. update. I now have installed xp64 but when it boots up to continue the installation I get a bad boot.ini, then it says that it is going to boot from c:/windows/ but then I get "NTDetect failed". Is my drive just screwed or is there something else?

that actually might be one of the problems. But then why does fedora core still install? I am just confused, but i will run memtest 86+

but the crazy thing is i am not even trying to use raid at all. yet.

I will run memtest overnight and see what it brings. Ugh. Suck. You spend a bunch of money only to have windows screw it all up. My mandriva and fedora core 5 disks are downloading though. Might be the computer gods way of telling me its time to switch :)

Last edited:
MEMTEST RESULTS!!! Zilch. And not in the good way. It won't even run. With 2 sticks in it wont even get to the screen and with 1 stick it might make it a few minutes into it. Here is a screenshot of what it looks like when it pretty much freezes. This happens when i use both the memtest86 from the board's features (through the bios) and from the ultimate boot cd.

IAmMoen said:
MEMTEST RESULTS!!! Zilch. And not in the good way. It won't even run. With 2 sticks in it wont even get to the screen and with 1 stick it might make it a few minutes into it....

With one stick in, does it begin to show errors, or does it freeze? Do you have another stick of another brand you could try? Any capacity/speed is OK, as long as it's DDR... Of course, it goes without saying that you'll want to have all drives, etc... disconnected during the test.

If the same thing happens with a DIMM from a different manufacturer, It would indicate a faulty motherboard. If the DIMM from a different manufacturer passes the test, it may be a memory/motherboard compatibility issue.

unfortunately i dont have any other ram around here that I can take. (one is in my dads computer but i aint touchin that for fear of anything happening. And the other computers are old enough they don't have ddr 184 pin dimms. Suckage. On the 6th I am going up to Minneapolis to drop off my girlfriend for winter training and I am going to visit one of my friends that runs a computer repair shop. Hopefully then we can figure what the hell is going on.

IAmMoen said:
Here are some more errors i get while trying to install windows.

What you're seeing is a direct result of faulty hardware. Until memtest runs correctly, you're just giving yourself a headache trying to install Windows. Chill, have a cold or hot beverage of choice :beer: and wait until you can get it to your friend's shop.

Back