• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lost logical drive in RAID 5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ebola

Senior Toilet Scrubber
I'm doing some troubleshooting after the fact. I need ideas to why this may have happened.

I somehow lost a logical drive in a RAID 5E array (6 drive+1 spare). How is this possible. Can an array become courupt with only losing one drive?

Attachments

• untitled1.JPG
    untitled1.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 131
raid5 does redundant storage. Replacing drive #2 should prompt the system to rebuild the lost data that was on drive 2 onto the replacement drive.
Normally a setup like that would default to that +1 as a hotswap, and rebuild the data onto that drive and tell you drive 2 is gone, so you could replace that and it would become the hotswap... sounds like it wasnt configured properly.

The data should all be there, however... just inaccesable until drive 2 is replaced and the data rebuilt.

I've had a few of these HP arrays not kick in the spare so I'm not too surprised by that. I still don't get why the Logical drive dissapeared from Windows with only one failed drive. The array should have been able to run fine degraded with 5 out of the six disks.

if hp cant even handle something as simple as a hotswap i wouldnt expect it to run a degraded raid array...
maybe a partition took a dive and its having a hard time figuring out whats going on.

Back