• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

beryl and xwinrap on ubuntu 6.10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PYROMANIAC

beryl and xwinrap on ubuntu 6.10+convert script

i just installed the vidcap plugin and wanted to test it out. no better place to put the results than here right? anyways i'm using ubuntu 6.10 with the latest svn beryl.

since ati and aiglx work terribley together unless you use the open source ati drivers, which are bogus, i am using xgl and decided to just play around a little with it.

this vid was taken on my laptop and during recording made it appear choppy, but when it's not recording everything is smooth i get 120fps normally.

enjoy:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8408637248753669001&hl=en

edit for the curious: the raw files is a .seom and you must convert it to whatever you want. when converter to avi at 1200kbps the video was 16.1mb

if you already have beryl+vidcap and want a post-script to convert, here is one that is easily editable, save as beryl-capture-convert.sh, make executable, and put wherever and enter the path as a post-script command in the vidcap settings.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
if [ -f /tmp/beryl-capture.seom ]; then
  output="$HOME/beryl-capture-`date +%d-%m-%y_%H%M`.avi"
  /usr/bin/seom-filter /tmp/beryl-capture.seom | mencoder - -ovc xvid -xvidencopts bitrate=1200 -o $output
  if [ -f $output ]; then
    /bin/rm /tmp/beryl-capture.seom
    zenity --question --title="Beryl Vidcap" --text="Video converted successfully. Play in mplayer?"
    if [ "$?" == "0" ]; then
      mplayer $output
    fi
  fi
else
  zenity --error --title="Beryl Vidcap" --text="/tmp/beryl-capture.seom does not exist."
fi

this script as shown above will convert the .seom file into an avi with 1200kbps quality and then delete the .seom file that was in your /tmp folder and then it will prompt you to play the file or not. :)

Last edited:
Shelnutt2 said:
Beryl is a GPL,(general public licenses) fork of compiz.
Which is better supported, performance, ease/difficulty of installations, etc?

BTW Window Blinds for Windows has that wobbly window thing too but no 3D rotating desktops cube.

Audioaficionado said:
Which is better supported, performance, ease/difficulty of installations, etc?

BTW Window Blinds for Windows has that wobbly window thing too but no 3D rotating desktops cube.

well whenever i first got the new window manager, compiz was no longer in development and beryl was the continuation. i'm not sure about compiz now i think they have a new release, but i dare say beryl is a more actively and developped program. there is a fan run repo for .deb's that i use to get the latest svn snapshots and i get a little notice saying there is a beryl update about every night or every other night.

compiling the source is very easy and there's a bunch of how to's in the beryl forums http://www.beryl-project.org .

as far as graphics, if you have nvidia you will have an easier time as ati barely supports aiglx. ubuntu 6.10 comes with an aiglx supported xorg and ati drivers to support it, the open source drivers i believe. and it ran terribley. it was just awful. i have an ati x600 on my laptop and i use xgl. i'm not sure on the exact differences between xgl and aiglx, but i believe that aiglx is able to support other opengl applications, using xgl i cannot play games, but if i wanna game i just go over to windows b/c gaming on linux is a different story.

beryl runs 125fps constantly, unless of course i'm encoding video but nothing runs good when you're doing that. seriously though, it runs water smooth for daily operation and hardly uses the cpu at all, the xwinwrap uses about 20-30% cpu consistently b/c it's running a screensaver or video file all the time for your desktop. if you arent using an os that comes installed with xgl/aiglx then installing xgl/aiglx is very easy and there should be a howto for your os somewhere. i had to do this on ubuntu 6.05.

i'm not sure about everyone else, whenever i used windows blinds and other windows gui enhancing stuff it just ran bad for me and was real glitchy, this was a while ago so i cannot say as to how the stuff has advanced, is litestep even still around?

beryl isn't perfect but i have no complaints and would recommend it to anyone who wants something flashy, but tolerable. the fire and beam effects haven't gotten annoying b/c they don't slow my computer down. i'm not sitting there waiting for a window to open b/c my computer has to process this animation. things open as fast as they should so it's very usable to me.

my .02

edit: the window decerator used as default in beryl (emerald) is very customizable as well. however, if you hate it and want your gdm themes to be used with the new effects, then heliodor would be what you want. it can be downloaded as a .deb from trev's repo as well as other stuff so you don't necessarily have to ditch your old theme.

Last edited:
Back