• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

''USB Beverage Cooler''

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That looked like a great idea until i saw the price. I've got USB cables out the wazoo, like most people here, i imagine. ebay a TEC, secure some scrap metal stock locally and twenty bucks later, you've got one. dig a little harder into your misc. parts drawers, and you have one with a switch.

"The USB Chiller requires at least 1.2 Amps to operate. Most USB ports will provided sufficient amperage for the Chiller to operate."

IIRC, most usb ports are only rated to put out a half amp- which is why the portable laptop hard drives have a second usb plug- peak startup on a laptop drive is usually something like .6A

my vote- scetchy, at best

i am not really sure who this Kyle guy is, but i am not one for his articles...
is the kyle from [H] or something?

i fail to see what a USB beverage chiller (and an absurd one at that) has to do with overclocking. i think its tec based, and what sort of moron would attach a TEC to a USB port anyway? COME ON!

just because it is a device with a TEC does not mean it belongs.

Como said:
"The USB Chiller requires at least 1.2 Amps to operate. Most USB ports will provided sufficient amperage for the Chiller to operate."

IIRC, most usb ports are only rated to put out a half amp- which is why the portable laptop hard drives have a second usb plug- peak startup on a laptop drive is usually something like .6A

my vote- scetchy, at best

I was thinking the same thing: "How does this not burn up USB ports??"

Looks like a great way to smoke the USB circuit. Like those dang USB's aren't touchy enough as it is. I think I would like it better if i could just plug it in to the outlet.

To clarify my point...this isn't a review, it's propaganda. As orlion said, it's irrelevant, biased and generally stinks in my opinion.

"Otherwise if you prefer to consume your beverage in 5 minutes flat, this product is not for you."

Something is seriously wrong with either this guy's watch, his math, or his grasp of thermodynamics. Heck, I left an ice tea in my car for over an hour in the sun here in the tropics yesterday and when I came back there was still ice in the cup and the drink was cold.

What a phenomenal waste of bandwidth...

OK guys, come on. What does "how fiber optics work" have to do with overclocking then? Nobody complains about Ian's articles. It's a review of a USB device. It is computer related. It may not be the best article or the best product but calling it propaganda...jeez.

If you didn't like the article or the product...try writing articles of your own. That's what really makes this site great...user contributed articles.

Deadbot1_1973 said:
Nobody complains about Ian's articles. It's a review of a USB device. It is computer related. It may not be the best article or the best product but calling it propaganda...jeez.

If it is a review, is grossly over-optimisticly written.

Have you ever been sitting at your computer with a drink, gotten up to do something, and come back and the drink is warm? Or do you just like to savour your beverage over a five hour period without it getting warm? Well Coolit Systems has just the product for you with their USB beverage chiller. Here is a short description of this awesome device straight from Coolit Systems:

Hellooo...we're not in a tv commercial!

Here is a shot of the USB beverage chiller out of its brown paper prison. It is quite the attractive unit.

A little more nuance here and there wouldnt hurt either...

As you can see the unit looks very nice and has a nice long USB cable.

The unit has a nice aluminium bottom with four soft feet. These feet are a nice addition

how nice!

A useful addition would've been some measurements as to the units power usage (instead of going my manufacturers'. specs) and a test with a few mugs / bottles on how quick it cools them down.

/sarcasm mode off

thats not a bad idea... bench the sucker! See how it does cooling a HOT beverage. I'd be curious.

Deadbot1_1973 said:
OK guys, come on. What does "how fiber optics work" have to do with overclocking then? Nobody complains about Ian's articles. It's a review of a USB device. It is computer related. It may not be the best article or the best product but calling it propaganda...jeez.

If you didn't like the article or the product...try writing articles of your own. That's what really makes this site great...user contributed articles.

Some of the longer technology articles (super nade, ian and the rest) are pretty good. dont fit overclocking - in much the same way- at all... but i diddnt get that sinking feeling when i read them - and i actually learn something cool.

this article clearly dosnt fit though, the tone is kinda off - and i dont care for the writing. its too promotional, and the "product" advocates powering (a tec and fan probably) off the mobo traces without making a point of how awful of an idea it is.

This article just seemed like an informecial.

I can just picture some cheesey guy on TV asking "Will it work with Linux"? "Of course it works with Linux, its OS independant."

What really sticks in my head though

" hat is the power consumption and impact on battery life?

All laptops have different battery characteristics but the USB Beverage Chiller consumes very little power at 5.75W. Our patented design enables efficient and highly effective cooling in a small form factor."

Maybe its a slip-up and this really is a bad attempt at making an advert into an oc.com article. Maybe its just poorly copied and pasted from some marketing bumpf. Either way, its a below-average article with a style that does not suit overclockers.com, no more please!

Ed seems to have a very dry sense of humor. That article was nothing more than a comic infomercial parody to me. What I can't understand is why everybody is in such an uproar over it.

I would like get one of those on the cheap, rip it's guts out, use them for cooling my northbridge or some other cooling app. obviosly it would be useless on a cpu or gpu.

You can find mini frigs close to that price that keep a 6 pack cool.

45F isn't really cold. I like my drinks ice cold.

Back