• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Metal Slug

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
please post pictures when you're done. i have always loved your mods and i also love metal slug. go go go!

What amazes me is that the man never stops modding.

Truely an inspiration to us sir.
Which just got me thinking.... I should mod my dad's PC before i give it to him for good.
(i've been 'testing' it for him for about a year now)

Had to fumigate the house today and let the professional cleaners work on the main floor so I didn't get much done today. This evening I did however get the waterblock top done and started work on the louvered fan covers.
My camera is being held hostage at the moment so no pics until tomorrow. And tomorrow is going to be fun because I have a full day all to myself to get more stuff done before the case shows up.

BIG update promised for tomorrow night.

Okay, yesterday I finished the new waterblock top. I'll have more pics tomorrow seeing as how I'm waiting for some specialty screws for it before I bolt it down onto the base permanently. As you can see it uses no less than 12 screws! Gives an awesome industrial look once they're all in place.
0005.jpg
Last night in 28f degree temperatures with a light drizzle I got the pieces for the fan louvers cut out with the tablesaw. Today it took most of the day to get them trimmed and then glued together. They're functionally finished but on Friday I will be taking them to the machine shop to even them out using the mill. The upper most blade of the louvers is removable to allow easy access for bolting them onto fans and the mounting holes on the lower side are elongated to allow the bolts to be fed in at an angle.
0006.jpg
0007.jpg
This afternoon the case and the pump arrived. I had to cut 1/2" off the inlet of the pump because it wasn't threaded and I couldn't get the 1/4" NPT adapters and Tee installed on the pump.
0008.jpg
Then made quick work of dissecting the case. I'm currently marking out the mounting holes for the pump. On Friday I will be taking the tray to the machine shop to get some cable routing holes cut out using the mill. The sooner I can get the modifications to the case itself done the sooner I can send it to be powder-coated.
0009.jpg
The front face of the case is made out of 1/4" thick aluminum! I won't need to reinforce that part of the case at all, but I do have something specific planned for the front.

And that's what happened in the past two days. I'm holding a few things back that I will reveal once they're finished. Tomorrow I'm going to start working on hose separators and the facade plates for the case..

Last edited:
I cut everything to square dimensions using the table saw.
The slits on the side pieces were cut using the scroll saw after applying a template made from the CAD model (I also used a template for the back piece).
The louver blades were mitered using the table saw, but I'll finish the job with the mill..

9 Images in one update!!! Ready... GO!

Removed and masked off the top of the case.
0010.jpg
Then drill the holes for the handles.
0011.jpg
Then the mail came. I love mail.
0012.jpg
Got the pump mounted onto the drive cage. I also had to bore out the Tee because its ID was smaller than 3/8".
0013.jpg
Motherboard! (ASRock P4i65G, the only 478 MATX I could find with Dual Channel support)
0014.jpg
And now the surprises. I ordered some hex head screws to bolt the waterblock top onto the base. The end result is very very spiffy.
0015.jpg
And yet another surprise, I'm using thin-wall semi-rigid (Shore 90A) opaque black polyethylene tubing along with these spiffy 1/2" OD nickel-plated chrome instant tube fittings. THEY'RE HUGE!!! And shiny. The only downside of these is the inner diameter is too narrow, but I will be fixing that at the machine shop tomorrow using the lathe.
0016.jpg
Their bizarre proportions are absolutely perfect for the Metal Slug theme. Here's the two swivels installed on the video card.
0017.jpg
And the last item completed for today is the top and bottom PVC armor plates. I have to make a trip to Home Depot tonight to buy some rubber feet and 10-32 bolts so I can bolt these on. So another picture is promised for later tonight.
0018.jpg
*Phew

Another fun day. I was going to go to the machine shop, but I decided I still have a ton of stuff I can do here, and in the process I may find more work that I'll have to take there anyways. That and the weather outside is horrible...
Took the case apart again, this time removing many rivets.
0020.jpg
Mainly because I needed to make these cuts.
0021.jpg
And so I did. Took an hour because I drilled pilot holes using the drillpress, cut out roughly using the scrollsaw, used a wood block and a small hammer to return the sheet to it's original flatness, some finishing work using a stone grinding bit on the drillpress, then final cleaning with deburring tools and files.
0022.jpg
And then it was time to start mocking up parts to check for spacing.
0023.jpg
That small green thing is the pump relay if you're wondering. I didn't want it's ugly self mounted in a PCI slot.
0024.jpg
The holes for all of the rivets I removed eariler were tapped for #8-32 screws, so what was once not easily removable, now is. That makes me happy, because the case is going to have to be dissected AGAIN later in order to send it for powdercoating.
0025.jpg
Everything back together.
0026.jpg
The pump in it's final location. I had to remove the Tee from its original spot because some measuring determined it was going to end up hanging over the CPU socket.
0027.jpg
I was about to hit a wall in my progress when suddenly, BOXES! YAY!!
The UPS guy is always curious what the hell it is that I'm up to.
0028.jpg

Boys and Girls, can you say "minimum order of $25"? :D
That's 5 Delta WFB1212Ms and 2 Delta WFB1212MEs
0029.jpg
Later notice the fan is in backwards, but this is just for mock-up so whatever.
0030.jpg
A snug, but perfect fit.
0031.jpg
And then inspiration hit. I had several brass 45-degree male-female elbows in my parts box! Sweeeet.
0032.jpg
This -combined with the trimming I plan to do to the motherboard tray- means that when I fill the case I will be doing it with all of the vital hardware facing the floor. I'll simply screw a barb and some tubing onto the valve, open it, and start filling from the right side of the case. Should anything leak during this process the drips will all fall away from the hardware. And if I spill anything while filling it also won't be landing on any hardware (except maybe the drives but I can stuff a towel there before I start).
0033.jpg
The two barbs will connect with a tiny length of 1/2" ID tubing.

Right now I'm measuring and plotting out what I have planned for the front of the case. Tomorrow is also going to be wet so I may have to put a tarp out on the deck in order to do some table saw work without having to stand in the rain.

This is a great example of how awesome you can make a low-budget watercooling setup look and perform, all it takes is an unnatural amount of patience ;) :D

Yeah, nothing truly awesome can come without a combination of good (the right) tools, and the skills to use them right.

Im amazed that some people can keep on impressing all of us with endless strings of origional and creative ideas. -- On the other hand, i only need to look down and to the right to see my own case project which accomplished just about all the goals i had in mind for it. If only my current skills could have let me take it further.

This is the "I have egg on my face" update. When I originally drew up the new waterblock top for the Maze4 in Solid CAD I accidentally used the LGA 775 hole dimensions instead of the 478 holes spacings I meant to use. I did not find this out until today while trying to install the block.
So I made another top. This time with both sets of holes.
0035.jpg
Macro focus mode rocks
0036.jpg
Aside from getting all the pieces for the next few items square cut with the table saw I didn't get much else done today. The weather has left me feeling really stiff and the 3-day marathon of modification and machining work has left me a little achy. So tomorrow will simply be reserved for recovery and planning.

Back