• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Considering ditching the Cisco 2922

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lonely Raven

If you traded with me please leave me Heatware Sen
I have an old Cisco 2922 Enterprise, and I'm considering getting a small, inexpensive but FAST 8 port gigabit switch since I do a LOT of multi-gig file transfers at home.

Any suggestions as to what I should be looking for?

Is the old 2922 (like the 2924 minus the two optical ports) worth anything these days?

I've been out of the loop for a while since I've been at jobs that didn't pay well and were hardware/upgrade retarded. So I've just not kept up with the trends lately. What's good?

Does anyone read these forums? :)

I'm just looking for a quality 8 or 12 port switch for passing ungodly amounts of data across my apartment....

Suggestions?

Can your rig pass a gig of traffic in and out... the bus on the MB/system won't do it more than likely. That's the trick with Gig networking, most client devices can't pass anything even remotely close to that amount.

I would say stick with what you have. Unless you need the space, it's just fine for what you're doing.

If you need something smaller to fit the space, Ebay for something the size you need.

Cool, that's what I was wondering honestly. Thanks for the info.

I'll just live with it and maybe upgrade the hard drives instead. :)

I agree and would also do the same.... that is a very good switch and unless your willing to spend quite a bit more than your average cheap D-link I would stick with what you have.

I am also about to switch over from my WRT54G and cheap 3com gig siwtch to having a 2924 cut into 3 vlans and a netscreen 5GT sitting infront of that so I can have multiple switch ports for DMZ, INT, EXT interfaces all using the same switch.

Back