• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kubuntu, or Ubuntu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deRusett

So I am making a Test LAMP server out of an old Xp1700, with a Radeon 9600 graphics card in it.

I can't really decide between Kubuntu and, Ubuntu.

What is the difference really?
From quick glance it looks like Kubuntu, is just Ubuntu with KDE, When I have played with Linux in the past it has always been using the KDE environment, but I was attempting Linux for a desktop replacement, in this case it will get very little use as a Desktop once I have it connected to my Windows Network, the machine will share a Monitor/keyboard with the development Windows Machine using a KVM switch, so I don't "think" the desktop environment should matter. am I wrong in thinking this?

Any advice would be appreciated.
do note the distro's I have experience with are
Suse and Mandriva

personally i find gnome to be a better experience, im not a very flashy person when it comes to user interaction. i like it to be simple and work.

I strongly prefer KDE to Gnome, but why not try both and decide? The worst that could happen is you learn a bit about Gnome ;)

I guess I shouldn't have gone off on the tangent of user interface.

Ok, which would be better for the server, Ubuntu, or Kubuntu?

the "SERVER" disk for ubuntu does not have an X server installed.

for a server i would suggest XFCE but thats just me (Xubuntu)

If it's just a server, why not skip the GUI altogether? A LAMP dev/test environment is a low maintenance setup - once it works you can pretty much just let it run.

Not sure if I want to go about installing php, mysql, apache & tomcat, only on command line, so I need some GUI.

Xubuntu I'll give a shot first, I have downloaded all of them so we will see.

well installing is easy, just "sudo apt-get install mysql php5...ect..."

then you can get something to administer those, install that by command line, phpmyadmin for example. you will still set it up through a web interface.

but as you said, a GUI is way easier, and as long as this is not supposed to be a 100% hardened box you will be fine

Back