• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amarok problem.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Schalldampfer

I have a decently large (29 Gb of FLAC) music collection, and am using PCLinuxOS. I think my collection has been built, but Amarok keeps updating it, even though I added my last song quite a while ago. Is there a way to stop this? And also, is there another player entirely that might be worth trying out?

Last edited:
I belive if you look around in the options.. i belive theres something about scannining the folders you checked that have your music in them..

Schalldampfer said:
I have a decently large (29 Gb of FLAC) music collection, and am using PCLinuxOS. I think my collection has been built, but Amarok keeps updating it, even though I added my last song quite a while ago. Is there a way to stop this? And also, is there another player entirely that might be worth trying out?

It will be set to scan for changes every so often, however this process is usually much much quicker than a full scan of your collection.

Alternatives to amarok would be Banshee (Mono based) or Quod Libet (GTK based).

I think if you go to settings/configure amarok/collection there are some boxes that may be what you're looking for.

Thanks, all. The problem with Amarok is solved... But due to the age of the computer, it's having a hard time playing video files smoothly even under Fluxbox and no other applications running. Is there a tweak or something I can do? The files I play range from simple avi's to mkv's. I've found that Kaffeine is best for playing mkv and VLC for avi, but even then neither of them can play files over 160mb smoothly.

Schalldampfer said:
Thanks, all. The problem with Amarok is solved... But due to the age of the computer, it's having a hard time playing video files smoothly even under Fluxbox and no other applications running. Is there a tweak or something I can do? The files I play range from simple avi's to mkv's. I've found that Kaffeine is best for playing mkv and VLC for avi, but even then neither of them can play files over 160mb smoothly.

When playing a file in Kaffeine (also try mplayer text mode see if it's any better) try opening a console and typing free and press enter. Does it show a lot of swap usage? Paste the output into a post here if possible.

total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 191576 181728 9848 0 7216 115824
-/+ buffers/cache: 58688 132888
Swap: 562232 23912 538320

Above is when playing mkv using Kaffeine.

total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 191576 184432 7144 0 2988 102832
-/+ buffers/cache: 78612 112964
Swap: 562232 23932 538300

And that is when playing avi using VLC.

**hint** using free -m helps keep things readable as it just lists megabytes.

Have you tryed using mplayer? I know that you have tryed using different window managers but kaffeine is a kde app so it needs to load the kdelibs if I remember correctly. Try using fluxbox and running the video from console just for starters.

So in fluxbox open xterm and go to the movie. then do: mplayer movie.avi and see how it goes. if you don't have mplayer installed then install it. Tell us how it goes.

Back