• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Artefacts without overheating this time...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Still same thing with 97.92 drivers. How will I know that by getting my fourth card the problems will go away? Does the BSOD in my second post mean anything to you?

Anjow said:
Still same thing with 97.92 drivers. How will I know that by getting my fourth card the problems will go away? Does the BSOD in my second post mean anything to you?

Well ya don't know but the odds are in your favor that the 4th will be the charm.

Viper

Before I go exchanging it again, does the BSOD that I attached a picture of in my second post support your theory that the card itself is knackered?

Thanks for all the help, by the way.

Anjow said:
Before I go exchanging it again, does the BSOD that I attached a picture of in my second post support your theory that the card itself is knackered?

Thanks for all the help, by the way.

Actually that was a Stop Error Message. A BSOD is exactly that...at blue screen and nothing more.

The stop error message could have been caused by many things. The card is a logical choice but system memory is another. I've had 2 sets or Geil TCCD and 1 set of G.Skil memory that all developed one bad stick over time and some of the systoms were lock up in games, random BSOD's and random stop errors at windows load. System memory will not cause the corrupt display and reboot you mentioned or the artifacts you have with the card though.

Viper

When you say only the 97.02's work so you mean 97.02 exactly or any 97 driver ending in 2? Currently they have a 97.92 I think. Do they still clock the card wrong?

Section8 said:
When you say only the 97.02's work so you mean 97.02 exactly or any 97 driver ending in 2? Currently they have a 97.92 I think. Do they still clock the card wrong?

97.02's exactly. Unfortunately they have lots of other game related bugs.

Viper

I've decided to take it back, get a refund, buy a second computer with that money (for the sake of redundancy) and then get a card later on - probably an ATI R600 when they come out. I am sick of these NVidia ones not working, so I have lost faith (that I've had since Geforce 2s).

Last edited:
Well, if it was artifacting without overheating, it was your cooler.

Artifacts come from the inability to disperse heat fast enough to make room for more heat.

Anjow said:
I've decided to take it back, get a refund, buy a second computer with that money (for the sake of redundancy) and then get a card later on - probably an ATI R600 when they come out. I am sick of these NVidia ones not working, so I have lost faith (that I've had since Geforce 2s).

Before you do that, you do have BOTH the PCIE power plugs connected, right?

It just seems too weird to have 3 DOA GTX's. Also, have you run any other fairly high-powered video cards on that power supply? Could it be that one of the 12V rails on the psu is bad?

PaciFIST69 said:
Before you do that, you do have BOTH the PCIE power plugs connected, right?

Of course.

PaciFIST69 said:
It just seems too weird to have 3 DOA GTX's.

I agree, it would be very suspect if all three had had the same problems, but they didn't.

The first one's fan didn't start, so I got this new PSU to see if that was the problem (previous one was a Thermaltake TR2 550W) - that didn't fix it, so I RMAd the first card. I then got a second card, same problem - fan not starting, so it ended up overheating again. Then this third card has a different problem - artefacts without overheating and the fan works fine, which makes me think it was plain old bad luck to get another card with new problems.

Anjow said:
Of course.

I agree, it would be very suspect if all three had had the same problems, but they didn't.

The first one's fan didn't start, so I got this new PSU to see if that was the problem (previous one was a Thermaltake TR2 550W) - that didn't fix it, so I RMAd the first card. I then got a second card, same problem - fan not starting, so it ended up overheating again. Then this third card has a different problem - artefacts without overheating and the fan works fine, which makes me think it was plain old bad luck to get another card with new problems.

By chance did you check the serial number on the second card and compare it to the serial number on the first. It's possible you got the same card right back on the first RMA lol.

John

ViperJohn said:
You do not have a choice there. You use both or you do not run.

Viper

Sorry, didn't know that. I think my old 7800 would run (badly) without the power connector, that's why I asked.

If it's truly 3 bad cards, I'm sorry, that's really bad luck :(

One more thing, maybe try this?

ViperJohn said:
By chance did you check the serial number on the second card and compare it to the serial number on the first. It's possible you got the same card right back on the first RMA lol.

John

I did initially think that, when the second card didn't work. It was the exact same box, same serial number on it, but the serial number on the card was a different one to on the box.

Back