• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What board for QX6700 and dual 8800GTX's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WejRepus

I am building a new dream machine for myself, the plan is the Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 cpu and two BFG Tech GeForce 8800GTX gpu cards each running a seperate 24-inch Dell LCD (no SLI). I am leaning towards the EVGA nForce 680i SLI but am not sure if it is the board for me from all the problems i have heard, and i dont need the SLI. Any recommendations?

Will you be OCing or will your primary goal be Rock Solid Stability. I would look into one of the Asus or Abit 680i's so that you have the option for SLI and they don't use the reference design (generally don't run as hot from what i have heard).

~jtjuska

If i do OC, it will be very small. I do desire stability over extra speed, and i am pretty sure that this proc and gpu's are going to be fast enough without me tinkering

That opens up a ton of options as pretty much any board that is quad ready with 2 PCIe slots should work. I would recommend the P5W or P5B from asus if you want an intel chipset with Matrix RAID. Otherwise a Asus 680i. I know there are others here that have experience with the 680i's and can give more input. I have heard of some issues with them and can't comment on them since I haven't used them. I own a P5W DH Deluxe though and love it. It will run my E6600 at 3.8Ghz without a problem on water.

EDIT: I would also highly recommend looking into the Intel "Bad Axe 2" http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813121059 that is a link to newegg's site for refernce of the board.

Keep the questions and needs coming and good luck with the build!!!

~jtjuska

Last edited:
Ya I am actually starting to look at this board myself now that the DFI thing is going the way it is. I was really shooting for the Lanparty UT ICFX3200-T2R/G but things at DFI look kinda grim these days. I am hoping they pull out and get back in the game though.

~jtjuska

Back