• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

random thought: gerating electricity: earth's magnetic feild and motion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

greenmaji

Senior Spellcheck
Its a rather old thought of mine, and I've seen some posts from members that have an intrest in this sort of subject.

source NASA:
ap021125.html

souce University of Oregon:
FG03_06.jpg

I have had thoughts of how you could possibly harness electricity utilizing the magnetic feild of the earth.. I'm just currious if I'm alone on this. (If I had read more in related subjects I'm sure this isn't an original thought)

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on this..

(btw.. I just reilized I posted this in a odd spot move if nessary)

Last edited:
its an interesting thought. I'm not sure how you would go about harnesing it though.

they have been trying to do this for ages. there is plenty of research going on into this direction. google and you will find interesting projects. (even goverment funded ones).

mind you i dont have any names in my head :)

The problem is that while the Earth's magnetic field is huge, it is VERY week. A refrigerator magnet is stronger. Getting an usefull amount of energy out of it will be difficult.

MarkS said:
Getting an usefull amount of energy out of it will be difficult.
Read: Impossible
There's simply not enough energy there to generate a useful amount of electricity. The magnetic field is only strong enough to do what it's always been doing: protect us from solar wind and other radiated particles.

Wave energy on the other hand is going to become utilized heavily in the future.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_power

OK, impossible.:-/

Wave energy looks promising.

Did you see the story about the 17 year old kid that built a working FUSION device in his garage?!? All of the world's governments combined have collectively spent BILLIONS (and failed, I might add) to be able to do what a 17 year old kid did (successfully) in his garage! Story

MarkS said:
OK, impossible.:-/

Wave energy looks promising.

Did you see the story about the 17 year old kid that built a working FUSION device in his garage?!? All of the world's governments combined have collectively spent BILLIONS (and failed, I might add) to be able to do what a 17 year old kid did (successfully) in his garage! Story

If governments have failed to create fusion according to you, then this kid has as well.

He did fusion at a net loss of energy. The government has been able to fuse atoms together for decades now. The problem is that they can't keep the cycle up, as what they are using takes more energy than the fusion process puts out.

The other big problem is how to contain a fusion reactor. It puts out high energy particles that intersect the containment vessel. Though it isn't a chemical reaction, over time the vessel is going to look like swiss cheese on an atomic level. I don't remember the exact number, but over a 50 year lifespan, each molecule of iron in a containment vessel will be hit by a high energy particle over 300 times. Steels exposed to testing by high energy particle bombardment swells and degrades at much lower levels.

torin3 said:
If governments have failed to create fusion according to you, then this kid has as well.

He did fusion at a net loss of energy. The government has been able to fuse atoms together for decades now. The problem is that they can't keep the cycle up, as what they are using takes more energy than the fusion process puts out.

The other big problem is how to contain a fusion reactor. It puts out high energy particles that intersect the containment vessel. Though it isn't a chemical reaction, over time the vessel is going to look like swiss cheese on an atomic level. I don't remember the exact number, but over a 50 year lifespan, each molecule of iron in a containment vessel will be hit by a high energy particle over 300 times. Steels exposed to testing by high energy particle bombardment swells and degrades at much lower levels.

I understand all of that. The issue is that he was able to do in his garage and with used medical equipment on whatever salary he makes as a 17 year old child as many governments, universities and scientists have done requiring highly specialized equipment, superconducting magnets, liquid helium, a forest of Ph D's and BILLIONS of dollars.

MarkS said:
I understand all of that. The issue is that he was able to do in his garage and with used medical equipment on whatever salary he makes as a 17 year old child as many governments, universities and scientists have done requiring highly specialized equipment, superconducting magnets, liquid helium, a forest of Ph D's and BILLIONS of dollars.

But you said:
MarkS said:
All of the world's governments combined have collectively spent BILLIONS (and failed, I might add) to be able to do what a 17 year old kid did (successfully) in his garage!

Which is not true. He didn't succed where the governments failed. He did what they did. The money and Ph Ds has resulted in effiencies that the kid hasn't achieved. Yes he did "X". The goverments have achieved "X+Y+a+b+c". Neither of them have gotten to "Z" with "Z" being controlled, net energy positive fusion.

didnt tesla do some kinda work on this? i saw something about him being able to transmit and generate energy from the ionosphere via some voodoo. i think the HAARP project is somehow similar? transmitting energy more than generating it though.

It just seems from the fist picture that there are areas that the polarzation is aligned both north and south in a near single location... (alot of them actually)

greenmaji said:
It just seems from the fist picture that there are areas that the polarzation is aligned both north and south in a near single location... (alot of them actually)

Well, first off, you should ignore the slug when he says that it is impossible. He clearly is not aware of Clarke's second law”

Arthur C. Clarke said:
When a distinguished but elderly scientist say that something is impossible, he is almost certainly wrong.

The fact of the matter is that NASA already has the idea in practical use. LEO satellites at the end of useful life pay out a long, thin wire (along the lines of what is used for fly-by-wire anti-tank missiles) that due to centrifugal force tends to extend straight away from the satellite. Now, just like a wire being dragged through the magnetic field of a generator, this sets up a current in the mass and a consequent magnetic field. Due to the fact that the filed around the satellite can never perfectly match the field that it is being dragged through, this creates a sort of “magnetic drag” (similar to the magnetic braking that is used on roller coasters but at a much lower level). Over the subsequent weeks or months, the satellite is dragged into a lower orbit where air resistance becomes the dominant force and it burns up. Really, it is rather a neat way to clean up the LEO corridor.

Also, it bears noting that as a space craft passes through it's own unique trajectory, it will pick up a specific voltage that is unique to that craft. For this reason, any vehicle that is intended to dock with another will have a pre-docking probe that allows the two vehicles to equalize the voltage differential between them. If you have ever seen the guys who repair 100,000+ volt cables while they are energized or a helicopter landing in the dessert, you will have seen a similar device in use.

All of that having been said, The slug does get a few points on it being a fairly low power deal. Space craft engineers can count on a steady 1,300 watts per square meter of useful solar electricity (actually about 40% of that given the efficiency limits of current technology but even so...). In order to compete with the power that you can get from solar, you would have to get into practical engineering and there are a few very good reasons why this is just not done. But let me skip over that for now.

>>>>>>

As far as the home brew fusion matter goes, this kid actually built a machine that is older than I am. It is called a fusor and yes, fusion is relatively easily achieved. Of course, as has been noted, nobody has succeeded in getting more power out of one than one must put into it to make it operate. Speaking of what kid can do, the fusor was invented by none other than Philo Taylor Farnsworth, the boy genius who invented television when he was only 14.

>>>>>>

The_Jizzler said:
didnt tesla do some kinda work on this? i saw something about him being able to transmit and generate energy from the ionosphere via some voodoo. i think the HAARP project is somehow similar? transmitting energy more than generating it though.

No, he did not. Further, I love the idea of him having worked voodoo. You just regressed science about 800 years in a single sentence.

Not that I have any major problem with Tesla. After all, he did invent alternating current. However, he went a bit mad towards the end of his life and he gets undeserved credit for having done things during that period that supposedly scientists don't know about today. Either that or have only recently rediscovered.

One of the guys whom I work with is a Tesla freak and he is convinced that Tesla invented a device that you can put in the ground outside your house that will extract free energy from the earth. Come on now! If free energy was real and discoverable in the 1930's, don't you think that by now with our far more basic understanding of how the universe is constructed, we would have it by now? But if I try to bring that point up with the guy, he just starts going on about how UFO's command alien technology that is going to solve all of our problems. And why would aliens have that technology unless they already messed up their own civilizations far worse than what we have managed to do? He has yet to provide an answer to that.

The_Jizzler said:

Tesla proposed a way to transmit energy wirelessly, not a method of generating it (with regards to the ionosphere).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_energy_transfer

Malpine Walis said:
No, he did not. Further, I love the idea of him having worked voodoo. You just regressed science about 800 years in a single sentence.

ouch. dag dude, i was just askin. would youve preferred some convoluted technical jargon instead of the laymens "voodoo"? i think everyone reading gets the jist.

is your friend at work talking about geothermal? or something more along the lines "top secret, govt denied free energy from the 6th dimension" conspiracy?

greenmaji said:

Just wanted to point out that magnetic monopoles do not exsist. ;)

The_Jizzler said:
ouch. dag dude, i was just askin. would youve preferred some convoluted technical jargon instead of the laymens "voodoo"? i think everyone reading gets the jist.

Actually no, voodoo was probably better than convoluted technical jargon. That makes it easier to see what is going on. All too often, there are con men trying to sell people on some new free energy scheme and they try to hide what they are doing behind a lot of fancy talk. Yet at the end of the day, any decently skeptical observer can see what is going on for what it is. However, then the “tech talk” makes it harder to explain to people why the con man in question is full of BS.

As far as Tesla doing work on wireless transmission of power, yes he did do that but rather earlier in his life. If you have ever seen a Tesla coil at work, those are actually kind of fun to play with. If you hold a fluorescent tube near one, it will light up even though you can see both ends just sitting there. Then again, there are lots of ways to get a fluorescent tube to light up. Putting a small one in the microwave oven is always neat. Then too, if you put your hand in the sparks that come off the top of a
Tesla coil, your hair will stand on end. BTW, I have put my hand in the spark field of a 100,000 volt Tesla coil. It is in fact reasonably safe to do as it is at almost no current at all.

However, Tesla coils are not really a good way to transmit power more than across a room. The sparks can be fairly large and any power that is radiated from them as visible light (or even invisible energy that just does not do the job at hand) is wasted power. Also, they are very loud and they completely fail to play fair with radios in the area.

The_Jizzler said:
is your friend at work talking about geothermal? or something more along the lines "top secret, govt denied free energy from the 6th dimension" conspiracy?

Oh dude, "top secret, govt denied free energy from the 6th dimension" is only the tip of the iceberg with this guy. If anything is part of a conspiracy theory, he will be all over it. Did you know that the white stuff that you see in the path of commercial jets is not really water vapor? It is a secret plan by the government to, um, well, truth be known, neither he nor anyone else who is into that stuff has a clue what the plot is about but to the tin foil hat crowd, it clearly a plot to do something.

As far as the thing that you stick in the ground goes, you should know that it is incredibly obvious that the earth has lots of energy. After all, lightning is millions of volts and happens when the earth “gets out of balance”. For some reason, keeping the earth in a proper balance is of unimaginable importance to people like him. Anyway, there is a huge untapped source of energy in the earth and it is yours for the having. All that you need is to find the secret that was obvious to one of the pioneers of electrical engineering but has somehow managed to elude every physicist that has come in the 70 or so years since.

Super Nade said:
Just wanted to point out that magnetic monopoles do not exsist. ;)

I said near not presisely the same location :p
I figured that was rather improbable ;)

You'd need a HUGE (i.e. the same size or bigger than the earth) permanent magnet to create electric flux from Earth's magnetic field.

Back