New to OC'ing and Intel cpu need some advice

Hello long time AMD fan now switching to INTEL. I just purchased a E6300 cpu and EVGA NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard and purchase this ram from newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145566. Was wondering what kinda oc'ing I can get out of this setup with decent cpu cooling? I read from tomshardeware that the stock fan for cpu has great cooling for this cpu but who knows. Some advice for this N0oB would be great.

Thanks in advance

That's not the best mobo for OC. Don't expects high frequencies. The motherboard is the hearts of your system. But you can play a bit with it Read some faqs and guides.

Well that RAM will OC well (I know because I have some running at 500mhz). But like Delta said, at least from I've been hearing, that board really isn't your best bet for OC'ing.

If Tomshardware is claiming the stock Intel cooler is great, I will have to laugh and call them liars. The stock cooler is "ok" and "adequate" for a modest O/C as long as you don't raise vcore. That's about as far as I can go.
    2600K, Asus P8P67 Deluxe, 2X2GB G.Skill Pi PC3-2133, PC & Cooling 750W
    watercooled: Eheim 1048 pump, Swiftech Apogee GTX and 2X120mm rad
    FS020 case, OCZ SSD, Sapphire HD 6950, Acer X241W 24" widescreen

Contributing Member hUMANbEATbOX's Avatar
    Guys, the 680i boards will do 500+fsb.
    i7 970 @ 4.2ghz - 1.275v
    6x4gb
    560ti
    and my baby Lucy
    <----

Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Might want to try the Asus P5B-Deluxe. a little less disputed in terms of overclocking capability and a lot cheaper. I would also get something other than the stock cooling for the cpu. While tomshardware puts some good reviews out I think they make some of their overclocking articles sound a little to simple sometimes.

the best mobo for high fsb overclocking is the p5b-deluxe.

the 680i is a great board for o/c-ing as well but it is plagued with SATA issues which some boards have been fixed with by an update but some have not.

the dfi rd600 is also a good board to use for oc-ing and is a little bit more expensive than the 680i boards.

AWW I been reading about the 680i board and was nothing but good stuff about it and its OC'ing abilities. I already purchased it and it will be here monday. I guess I wasn't reading in the right places about it also EVGA already has a fix out for the SATA problem on there site. Guess I made a bad decision on that board . Also I would like to thank you all for the friendly advice.

PS whats a good cpu fan i should get for a great price instead of stock

Again thank you all

Senior Solid State Aficionado dominick32's Avatar
    Welcome to the forums. I honestly do not recommend that 680 mobo. I have a few friends with many problems oc'ing it. The only reason to go 680 would be for SLI right now. Otherwise a P5B-Deluxe is probably the best choice for stability right now.

Maybe you can prove us otherwise. I am very interested in your results overclocking that board.

Dom
    Next Level Hardware
    Solid State Drive Technology Discussion Thread
    ...3770k@4.5 GHz...Noctua Dh14...Asus z77 dlx...Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB... ARES 8Gb 2x4....
    crossfire 2 x diamond 6970's at stock clocks...4TB x2 in raid 1...corsair hx1050 psu...

Dominick32 states "Bow down to your SSD god dominick32 and kiss my feet which are actually made of pure light.
    Jason4207 Responds: "Upon closer inspection to go in for that foot kiss I'm noticing that the 'light' isn't doing you any justice.

This should help. :) Circa 2010

ok I dont know if this matter but i found out asus also makes a 680i mother board but I bought this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813188009 .... by evga or is it still the same and should of thought twice before buying

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by I3andit
    AWW I been reading about the 680i board and was nothing but good stuff about it and its OC'ing abilities. I already purchased it and it will be here monday. I guess I wasn't reading in the right places about it also EVGA already has a fix out for the SATA problem on there site. Guess I made a bad decision on that board . Also I would like to thank you all for the friendly advice.

PS whats a good cpu fan i should get for a great price instead of stock

Again thank you all
    The sunbeam tuniq tower is a great HSF to replace the stock one.

If you can't find one, the Scythe Infinity is also a good one as well.

Here is a thread I started on e-tailers with the tuniq. It hasn't been updated in a few days...
    http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...&enterthread=y