• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to OC'ing and Intel cpu need some advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I3andit

Hello long time AMD fan now switching to INTEL. I just purchased a E6300 cpu and EVGA NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard and purchase this ram from newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145566. Was wondering what kinda oc'ing I can get out of this setup with decent cpu cooling? I read from tomshardeware that the stock fan for cpu has great cooling for this cpu but who knows. Some advice for this N0oB would be great.

Thanks in advance :beer:

:welcome: That's not the best mobo for OC. Don't expects high frequencies. The motherboard is the hearts of your system. But you can play a bit with it :beer: Read some faqs and guides. :beer:

Well that RAM will OC well (I know because I have some running at 500mhz). But like Delta said, at least from I've been hearing, that board really isn't your best bet for OC'ing.

If Tomshardware is claiming the stock Intel cooler is great, I will have to laugh and call them liars. The stock cooler is "ok" and "adequate" for a modest O/C as long as you don't raise vcore. That's about as far as I can go.

Might want to try the Asus P5B-Deluxe. a little less disputed in terms of overclocking capability and a lot cheaper. I would also get something other than the stock cooling for the cpu. While tomshardware puts some good reviews out I think they make some of their overclocking articles sound a little to simple sometimes.

the best mobo for high fsb overclocking is the p5b-deluxe.

the 680i is a great board for o/c-ing as well but it is plagued with SATA issues which some boards have been fixed with by an update but some have not.

the dfi rd600 is also a good board to use for oc-ing and is a little bit more expensive than the 680i boards.

AWW I been reading about the 680i board and was nothing but good stuff about it and its OC'ing abilities. I already purchased it and it will be here monday. I guess I wasn't reading in the right places about it also EVGA already has a fix out for the SATA problem on there site. Guess I made a bad decision on that board :(. Also I would like to thank you all for the friendly advice.

PS whats a good cpu fan i should get for a great price instead of stock

Again thank you all

Welcome to the forums. I honestly do not recommend that 680 mobo. I have a few friends with many problems oc'ing it. The only reason to go 680 would be for SLI right now. Otherwise a P5B-Deluxe is probably the best choice for stability right now.

Maybe you can prove us otherwise. I am very interested in your results overclocking that board.

Dom

I3andit said:
AWW I been reading about the 680i board and was nothing but good stuff about it and its OC'ing abilities. I already purchased it and it will be here monday. I guess I wasn't reading in the right places about it also EVGA already has a fix out for the SATA problem on there site. Guess I made a bad decision on that board :(. Also I would like to thank you all for the friendly advice.

PS whats a good cpu fan i should get for a great price instead of stock

Again thank you all

The sunbeam tuniq tower is a great HSF to replace the stock one.

If you can't find one, the Scythe Infinity is also a good one as well.

Here is a thread I started on e-tailers with the tuniq. It hasn't been updated in a few days...
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=40&threadid=1954053&enterthread=y

Back