• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question on Replacing CSP-Mag with Laing DDC w/ Petra's DDCT-01 Top Combo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dicecca112

No issues, but I personally feel it's a waste of money. In your setup I'd say that there will be no measurable difference between the DDC-1 and the DDC-2/Petra combo. I would go for the DDC-1 because it's quieter.

I did extensive research with Sneaky on the issue.

1) The micro res will work. Sneaky used it in a loop with a 120.3 and 2 of the Alphacool DDCs and it was fine.

2) The DDC-2 is a revised version of the DDC-1 (hence DDC+ on other sites), I believe they fixed some impeller issues with it and it's worth the price. If anything, it's probably about the same as the DDC-1, just more reliable.

You should be okay, it's a great pump especially if you want to upgrade in the future.

My DDC2 is extremely quiet; meaning you have to put your ear next to it to hear sound from it. My HDDs are far louder and they are not "loud" by any means. The Petra top is well worth the upgrade, even with my restrictive blocks the water is moving fast enough that any air gets sucked back into the loop before it can move far enough up the res to get out of the flow...a huge advantage of the Petra top is the high flow 1/2" fittings vs the tiny stock ones. There is a noticeable visual difference (increase) in flow compared to my stock DDC2 even when it had a much less restrictive block combo (RBX/Maze 4).

Yup, I like the pump with petra top so far. It's quiet too. I have Thermochill PA120.2 rad so it's less restrictive than the GTS 240. I had that rad and I notice a difference in thermochill.

The DDC-1 and DDC-2 are the same pump but at vastly different power ratings. The DDC-1 operates at 13 ft of head with a max flow rate of just under 1.75 GPM and consumes about 9 watts. The DDC-2 operates at 20 ft of head with a max flow of over 2 GPM and operates at around 18 watts.

The DDC-1 has a sound rating of 24-26 dBA while the DDC-2 has a much higher sound rating of 30-32 dBA, which is a significant increase. It's not recommended for quiet setups.

I bought a DDC-2 for a new setup and I'm not going to use it. I'm going to get a DDC-1 instead because the DDC-2 is too loud.

I tested both the DDC1 and DDC2 side by side when I was trying to decide between the two as my D5 I had at the time was just too loud and high pitched. I had them sitting on foam in a loop at the kitchen sink. The DDC1 is very quiet (hardly noticeable). The DDC2 is just louder enough to be noticeable. With just a few case fans at 4v, I went ahead with the DDC2 for the increased head as the slight noise difference for me works OK and isn't noticeable above the fans. I have 6 yates at 4v and the pump, and my refrigerator two rooms over in the kitchen is a lot louder than my system. For that matter, the mantle clock ticking in the same room is more noticeable than my setup.

Note that what you put the pump on makes a big difference in noise levels. I have mine unmounted sitting on memory foam (thanks tempeurapedic for the free sample) to eliminate vibration.

Also, the add on top increases the flow by about 75% or so with either pump. With just a CPU being cooled by an Apogee, you may or may not notice a difference in temps.

Back