• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Counter-Strike server taking the wrong port

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

@md0Cer

Attached is a game-monitor image. You see two servers boxed in green. Aside from the name, both servers are running identical Half-Life Dedicated Server's, so the software side of the server itself is ruled out.

Notice the ports there. The one that is running in the 6xxxx range is what I am having problems with. They are hosted at two different locations. I have all the ports forwarded correctly, in fact I don't even have any ports in that 6xxxx range forwarded at all.

One difference is I am running Windows Vista. The strange thing is, according to the server it is running on port 27015. I even added a flag to force it to run 27015 and it still takes on these random ports in the 6xxxx range.

Could this be something in Vista or do you think it is hardware related? Has anyone experienced something like this before?

Thanks a bunch!

PS. Sometimes it doesn't even show up on the server list or game-monitor at all. In fact, people can't even connect directly to it through the IP sometimes. Yet sometimes it does work.

I ran a steam network trouble shooting tool and according to that everything is port forwarded properly.

Attachments

• serverport.JPG
    serverport.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 110
ten bucks says you have a Dlink router? i had the SAME prob and i found it to be the way dlink portforwards... well it doesnt portforward its weird what it does... i bought a WRT54GL and havnt had a problem sence.

I had rediculous problems with this too. The problem is port forwarding with the DLink router.

The only solution I managed to find was trying previous firmware versions as one of the previous ones worked and it would put the HLDS on 27015. The others just forwarded it to a 6xxxx port even though I had opened the ports fine.

If you don't want to do that, you could try setting a DMZ on the server and just having Sygate Personal Firewall running.

****. :bang head Yes I have a DLink. Well, it is an E-Home, but still DLink I guess.

Bummer, and I had a Belkin that wouldn't port forward correctly at all! I don't know why it is so hard for a company to build a router without issues.

Cool, I was actually looking at one on craigslist for 30 dollars. How do I know if it is version 4 or earlier? And just curious, what are the benefits of a version 4 or earlier one?

Either companies can't design their routers to work as advertised these days, or I am just unlucky getting two in a row.

@md0Cer said:
Cool, I was actually looking at one on craigslist for 30 dollars. How do I know if it is version 4 or earlier? And just curious, what are the benefits of a version 4 or earlier one?

Either companies can't design their routers to work as advertised these days, or I am just unlucky getting two in a row.

Verzion 4 or earlier is based on Linux firmware so you can run 3rd party firmware on them like DD-WRT... a WRT54G L is just a rebaged WRT54G Version 4... when linksys switched to the version 5 of the 54G ppl got ****ed so they remade the older version and rebadged it... i love mine and have had no probs.

Sweet! Thanks for the info. I will let you all know how it goes. I have seen a few WRT54G's on craigslist for fairly cheap so I am going to try and get them.

If by any chance I end up with a version 5 or a non L and can't use custom firmware, it is still a good router right?

Also, if I do end up getting a version 4 or older or an L, is it worth it to install DDWRT on it? I hear there is some risk of rendering your router unusable when doing the firmware?

I have the WRTG54GL and haven't changed the firmware, still does everything I need it to :)

Back