• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer Building Project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Okay, I think I'm going to go with the Intel Celeron 900. Sounds like the best way to go for me right now.

What does this put me at ($$$)? ~$600, right? Not too bad. I can afford that. I'll get back to you with a list of what so far I have to go for.

Thanks!

Thanks, it looks pretty good. I don't really mind the sound card (sounds not a big thing for me), but the video card is pretty important. >> $67 video Radeon LE 32m DDR OEM $62+5 << Is this any good? I was thinking about looking for a 64bit video card.

Thanks again!

--Garfield

Okay, so the video card is a good one then? Good. So, I guess I should go with a PCI sound card. What is nicely priced, and okay (not great -- great is expensive)? Thanks.

--Garfield

What does SDR and DDR stand for?

Nowadays there are three different technologies in the memory modules:

1.- The ancientest is SDRAM.....to keep it simple this one sends one signal per clock tick.

2.- DDR (Double Data Rate) sends two signals per clock tick.

3.- RIMM (RAMBUS), this uses other kind of techology.

SDRAM can be used with Intel PIII and Celeron systems. There are some chipsets that allow PIII or Celerons to use DDR.

AMD systems uses DDR more efficiently than Intel.

PIV systems are the only one that uses RIMMS at the moment. There are some motherboard that allows you to use SDRAM (not recomendable) or DDR with the PIV.

If you really want to know more about memory go to link. They sometimes get a little technical but they give you all the necessary information to understand all this stuff.

I think I'll go with the SDRAM. I'm going to be using the celeron and by the way you guys make it sound, it'll be cheaper and safer. Maybe not faster.

Thanks.

--Garfield

If you're going to use the Celeron, SDR is a good choice. A Celeron can't possibly use all the bandwidth that DDR can provide (PIIIs really can't, either), so it's more important to adhere to a well-designed chipset, as opposed to one that supports DDR. The Intel i815 would be a good choice. The VIA SDR chipsets aren't too bad, either, I guess, and are very inexpensive.

Okay, I guess I'll have to go with SDRAM, then. How does my "system" look so far? Approvable?

--Garfield

My friend's brother has some stuff to sell to me. And at a good price, so I'll see how that works. I'll post a list of what it is later. Then you can approve/disapprove of the parts.

--Garfield

this is definetly a good post, im planning to make a computer, adn its perfect specs but for the had(im going to get 20gb). One of the most usefull posts ive seen...

um the Celly 1.2 is almost quaranteed to hit 1.4.....even with stock cooling and no voltage tweaks...also just wanted to clear something up, there are PIII/Celly boards with RDRAM based on i820 chipset.....

Here are the parts my friend is offering me:

-Abit BE6-II
-ATI Rage video card
-Creative Labs sound card
-56k modem
-320meg of pc100 SDRAM

I'm not sure the price he's giving me for this. He said that the Abit BE6-II mother board can handle up to a 1.0ghz Intel processor. I'll get back to you with his price.

--Garfield

A couple of questions, Max:

-What do these multipliers mean ((12x111), (12x117))?

-So, you're saying that I can safely overclock to 1.4ghz with the Tualitan Celeron and still remain safe with the 1/3 divisor?

Thanks!

--Garfield

BTW what do you think of that motherboard that my friend is offering me? If it can only support up to 1ghz, does that mean that I couldn't do the above? Thanks.

Back