• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

In need of some experienced opinions.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TyRex

Hi all,

I've been out of the whole PC performance game for a long time now....I think this is probably the first time I've logged in to this message board in at least a year(probably 2). I guess college can do that to ya.....Anyways...

I need suggestions for a new system. Just to show you how long I've been out of the loop....here is my current system:
1700XP(overclocked to 2400 mhz)
512 megs DDR @ 200mhz
RADEON7200(the one with the video in and video out)
EPOX 8rda(nforce 2)

Feel free to laugh....I still am. I hate upgrading every 6 months. I prefer to build a system and leave it be for a couple years.....because i'm lazy.

What I need is a system that is capable of running modern games decently. I want to take a dive into WoW sometime soon. Right now, my 8rda can't even keep the northbridge voltage stable enough to start warcraft 3 without crashing. (probably the extensive long term OCing). It actually crashes after about 20 minutes of winamp.

Also, my grad research involves running extremely intensive monte carlo simulations. (they can take days) I'm already expecting on buying 2 gigs of ram. I've always trusted this message board for advice and would appreciate suggestions from anyone and everyone on what to buy. I don't have a set budget and whatever I buy I can write off(the nice thing about stipends).

Another thing. I've been an AMD fan boy for at least a decade now. I have no problem abandoning that ideology if you guys think it's worth it, though.

The only parts i'm looking at purchasing would be a mobo, cpu, ram, gpu, and PSU. Another thing, I designed and built a very effective watercooling system that has been working flawlessly without any maintenance for the past 3 years....so cooling is of no issue. (maybe i'll post some pics when I get the chance.)

Please...post away....

hello welcome back:welcome: , I too have just started to build a new rig after a long while hiatus. It seems we have a few things in common, as like being lazy to upgrade every 6 months or so. And I too have been an AMD fanboy. But as you noticed i said "been". From what I gathered so far, its a good bet to go Intel, moreover the Core 2 Duo. As for mobos, since I take your into OCing, I hear that an intel E6600 and an abit aw9d series mobo is good combo for ocing. But since im JUST getting back into the game as you are don't take my word highly as im still figuring things out. Right now for me im down to 3 mobos (Abit aw9d-max, asus p5w dh deluxe, and asus p5b deluxe). I hear good things about these mobos as these 3 are the most used now on the forums from what i take. I hope this helps you out a bit, good luck and keep us posted to your progress :)

-ahhhdam

I am still an AMD fanboy, and I suggest getting an opteron 165 939-pin and a DFI lanparty ultra-d mobo. These opterons are amazing overclockers and can go up to 2.7-3.0ghz pretty easily. I guess a lot is based on how much you want to spend though so what price range are you looking at?

if building brand new, from the ground up, there is no reason to look at the 939 platform like ubercool suggests.

if you want the most for your money, look to the C2D like ahhdam says, take a stroll around the intel forums for some results. ;)

I appreciate your responses.

ahhdam:
I agree. I've heard lots of talk about the e6600 and e6400. This is what I'm starting to settle on. Is the abit board matrix raid compatible? I really have no idea what it is, but I've heard lots of talk about it. I assume it's like raid with 2 drives, only with 3 or 4 drives.

UBERCOOL:
I have no objection to going the opteron route, if people really feel that opteron systems are better bang for the buck than C2D. As for budget I don't have anything set. 800 dollars would be a nice round number though.

Also, I am very interested in the new quad cores. I'm sure they are out of my price range now, but I would like to be able to upgrade to one with minimal extra upgrades. Quad core would greatly benefit my research simulations over dual core.

Any other opinions?

The talk about matrix raid.. this will explain it
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=467848
Its more then one raid array on the same set of HD's..

And the Intel chipset motherboards that have a southbridge with the letter R at the end of the name have it.. the Abit AB9 has a ICH8 southbrige and does not have it.. The Abit AB9-Pro has the ICH8R southbridge and does have it.

A system like the one in my sig. would serve you well. I have it at 3.6 right now with no issues. It would be a little more than the $800 though.

I also had an Opteron 165 (at 2.84 I think) before this computer. It ran very well and I cannot really tell any day to day difference in it and my new one. The C2D would be more upgradeable in the future though. 939 is slowly disappearing......

Thanks for the help.

I think I'll go with a e4400 or e4600. However, I am very interested in upgrading to quad core when the prices drop. will most of the C2D boards be compatible with quad core (minus a bios update)?

TyRex said:
Thanks for the help.

I think I'll go with a e4400 or e4600. However, I am very interested in upgrading to quad core when the prices drop. will most of the C2D boards be compatible with quad core (minus a bios update)?
e4400 isn't out until q2, and i didn't even know they had announced the e4600. for now, your choices are e6300, e6400, e6600, e4300. when are you planning on building?

The Intel offerings do out perform the latest from AMD, but then you might as well buy Windows Vista, a Sony Blu-ray player and a Chevrolet and in one bold stroke support all of the worst corporations on the planet. Sorry about the sarcasm, but there is more to buying then just getting the most for your money. I urge you to continue to support AMD because without them we all have to settle for what Intel is willing to give us, which won't be much without stiff competition from AMD. Intel is purposely lowering prices to destroy AMD. Please, do not support this ruthless monopolistic practice for a modest gain in performance.

I meant e6400 and e6600 (didn't have my coffee yet)

I'll probably start ordering when i get paid a week from friday.

rseven:
I completely agree with you. However, from what i've read lately on the main page is that AMD is heading down a different road. Now i remember Ed being a pretty pessimistic author, but there was always some sort of truth in his articles. If this is contrary to popular belief, please tell me more.

Also the idea of having an on board memory controller like the opterons is very appealing to me for future upgrades. Does anyone know if intel plans to incorporate this into newer cores.

Anyone know about the compatibility of quad cores with today's c2d boards?

TyRex said:
I meant e6400 and e6600 (didn't have my coffee yet)

I'll probably start ordering when i get paid a week from friday.

rseven:
I completely agree with you. However, from what i've read lately on the main page is that AMD is heading down a different road. Now i remember Ed being a pretty pessimistic author, but there was always some sort of truth in his articles. If this is contrary to popular belief, please tell me more.

Also the idea of having an on board memory controller like the opterons is very appealing to me for future upgrades. Does anyone know if intel plans to incorporate this into newer cores.

Anyone know about the compatibility of quad cores with today's c2d boards?
current quad core will work with all 964/975 boards, along with NV's chipset AFAIK.

intel plans on doing an integrated memory controller, but that will be a totally new platform. don't expect that for a while.

while a IMC is nice, it isn't enough to make K8 competitive. we'll have to see what happens with K8L.

I'm curious, humanbeatbox, do most e6300s oc as well as yours? and if so, are the multipliers locked?

i think the average is 3.4-3.5ghz. but, you have to have ram that will keep up. there are no downward deviders for the memory, so i have to run at ddr2-1000, 500fsb. if you see someone who is running much lower than that, they want a silent rig, or they went with cheap ram or both.

you can user cheaper ram if you go with a e6400 or e4300. they have higher multi's. c2d multi's are downward locked only, so i have access to 7x and 6x.

rseven said:
The Intel offerings do out perform the latest from AMD, but then you might as well buy Windows Vista, a Sony Blu-ray player and a Chevrolet and in one bold stroke support all of the worst corporations on the planet. Sorry about the sarcasm, but there is more to buying then just getting the most for your money. I urge you to continue to support AMD because without them we all have to settle for what Intel is willing to give us, which won't be much without stiff competition from AMD. Intel is purposely lowering prices to destroy AMD. Please, do not support this ruthless monopolistic practice for a modest gain in performance.
It's easy enough to spin this as being AMD's fault equally. The business world is not kind. If consumers aren't given an incentive to purchase a product, then they won't do so. We aren't running a charity drive for AMD...not like they, a multi-million dollar corporation deserve our pity nor our charity anyways.

AMD is now taking the heat for essentially failing to innovate for the past four years. Since then, its been nothing but basic die shrinks, with the exception of the dual cores, that was an advancement but just about the only one. Intel came out with an architecture that's cheaper to produce and superior in virtually every way imaginable. As consumers we should (and naturally do) vote for the better product with our dollars. That's what allows for innovation, advancement of technology and general competitiveness in the industry. Not pity for the underdog.

And I'll betcha quite a fortune that if AMD execs were in the same position as Intels', they'd carry out the same practices. These guys are not saints, far from it.

I apologize for the threadjack but didn't want to let that one slide.

TyRex said:
I'm curious, humanbeatbox, do most e6300s oc as well as yours? and if so, are the multipliers locked?
Most don't, what happens to set his apart is very well calculated component choices. ;)

hUMANbEATbOX said:
:rolleyes:

business is business.
Tell that to the people of Bhopal, India, or to the employees on Enron.

Gautam, you are correct that AMD has fallen behind, but the marvel is they were ever ahead. My point is if you all jump on the Intel bandwagon in the end you will get higher prices and no innovation once they are fat and comfortable.

It looks as if TyRex has made his decision, so it's a moot issue. TyRex, good luck with your new rig and please forgive my intrusion in your thread. Cheers!:beer:

Back