• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

In need of some experienced opinions.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey, hUMANbEATbOX...what happened to your frog? Are you talking plecostomus as in the aquarium bottom feeder kind?

No offense taken....I'm actually interested in hearing everyone' opinion.

And I haven't jumped ship yet....I'm still considering an opteron route. What I really want to know is how upgradeable are the c2d vs opteron platforms.

I should probably clarify a bit. I'm rather lazy....more so than I care about the money of initial investment. I'm in need of a platform that can withstand the next 2 to 3 years of abuse. What this means is that I would rather find a platform that will tolerate easy upgrades when prices on newer components drop.

IE Will C2D platforms support quad cores directly
or Will what opteron platform will support quad cores when they are available.

I'm not so much concerned with my immediate performance gains, as I am with the consistency of being able to increase performance cheaply and easily over the next 2 or 3 years. It would appear that C2d may be dominating now, but will that be the same over the next 2 years??

huMANbEATbOX...don't mean to stray off topic but I gotta ask...what happened...did the plecostomus kill the frog? I had a pleco...got it when it was just a little thing...grew into a big 4-5" critter...really cool...didn't know it was agressive like that...that's why I'm curious...

if you are looking to upgrade in the future i would have to recommend the intel route. I don't know exactly what intel will be doing socketwise in the next few years but amd has (from what i have read) already announced AM3 AM3+ and their cerberus (which is their modular design i believe, someone correct me if i am wrong). Although I myself just bought an socket 939 opteron 170 (I am with Rseven on the whole thing) i would say that the market is moving away from 939. The next couple years will be more interesting than the last but probably not as interesting as the ones to come. Take a chan, take a chan, take a chan chan chance. Good luck to you in the future. :beer:

stevejr said:
huMANbEATbOX...don't mean to stray off topic but I gotta ask...what happened...did the plecostomus kill the frog? I had a pleco...got it when it was just a little thing...grew into a big 4-5" critter...really cool...didn't know it was agressive like that...that's why I'm curious...

my plec (well, the one in question, i have 3) is about 8" now. the frog was about 1". just a tiny african dwarf frog. pleco's can become bratty when they get big. they sometimes like to suck on other fish, because they like the slime. while i didn't actually see him do it, i found the carcase, and no other fish in my tank is capable of that. just totally destroyed. and i DID see my pleco eating at the body of another frog i had, not so very long ago. back then, i thought maybe the frog just died on its own, and the plec took the body as a free meal. so i thought i'd try again. well now i know for sure. ;)

Back