• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ST75F enough for my needs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trike007

I just want to make sure that i have enough power and some room to spare.
Couple requirements on the power supply is it being modular and quiet operation. All this being crammed into a Antec P180. Hence needing it to be modular. I'm looking at the silverstone ST75F.

Going to be overclocking both the cpu and vid card.

I plan on powering

p5b dlx xeon 3060/e6600
Tuniq tower 120 (120mm fan)
Ati 1950xt
HR-03 w/120mm fan
4 seagate 320gb drives
~5 case fans (4 120mm, 1 80mm)
Couple optical drives

That should be a majority of the components. how close am I to maxing out a 750w PSU?

Comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Your not even close to maxing out 750w psu. You could probably run your setup with good quality 500w psu, might be even less.

meionm said:
Your not even close to maxing out 750w psu. You could probably run your setup with good quality 500w psu, might be even less.

agreed. now if you want a sli 8800GTX then you might want it.

btw, the voltages are a bit high. but the PSU is a great one. i bought mine a while ago, and after being able to run my computer for 24 hours a day for 3 days for the first time without a single crash. it was amazing.

sweet. good to hear from people that are using this power supply. I'll get the the strider 750 then, since it's suppose to be quiet and is modular to reduce clutter. If anybody has any other suggestions, please speak up.

Thanks!
Wing

If you won't go in future with anythling like sli or crossfire setup, corsiar 620w would be enough.

If you prefer Silverstone, I'd pick the ZF over the F. Etasis v/s Enhance. Enhance are a good OEM, it is just that Etasis are a notch above Enhance.

Silverstone ST56ZF with power to spair. And of course, I agree with S_N ZF > F
Etasis is one of the VERY best OEM's.. Enhance isn't bad, but its not #2 out of all OEMs ;)

so you guys are saying I should ditch the modular and just get the etasis built one? i'm just concerned about excess cabling clogging up the lower chamber in the p180. anybody know if the silverstone psu's have a long enough atx power cable for the p180?

Thanks!

this i the power supply i currently have.

http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/reviews/cases/ttgi_520ss_1.html

one 20amp 12v rail. this psu is loud as hell. but nothing a fan change can't cure. what do you guys think? good enough? this was good enough for my dual xeons 1.6lv @2.4 and corsair watercooled. I only had a ti4200 and two hds though. guess it doesn't have a pci-e connector though.

the st65zf is only 100 bucks at directron. 75zf is 170. I just want to stay under 200 but if a 650 will do, then i'll just get a 650. I read on the 75zf that the cpu 2 was on the same rail as the SATA connectors. i have 6 sata drive that i'm going to hook up. 4hds and 2 optical. is that going to be an issue?

I'll probably be getting a ST75F in a few weeks so I'll let you know how mine works out. I have the Antec P180 too and wanted something modular to keep the wires nice and neat. If you look on jonnyguru's review you'll see that the PSU actually does well, it just gets a little sketchy when maxed out at 750w. I know I'm no actually going to use that much so it's going to be more than enough for me and you too.

yea, i knew about it getting sketchy at 750watts but that could of been his psu that he got, theres a lot of variables. but who knows.

right now im using like... 420 watts from this thing lol, its barley taking a walk, its just laughing at my computer because of my low power consumption. but i will get my revenge once i get my quad core.

I just got my 1950xt. I noticed that the box said it required a 30a rail. since most psu's are multi railed with about 18a max. is it splitting off with the pci slot? how does the card know which rail to pull off of?

does anyone know how much current the cpu's take? I noticed on the st75zf that cpu2 shared the same rail with the sata connectors. I plan on running 4 hd's off that line. I think the 7200.10's are rated around ~1a each leaving about 14a left for cpu2. I'm mainly concerned about the video card getting enough juice. If it is getting power off the atx connector and pci-e power i'm not sure how much power it's going to suck off the atx rail.

I'm not sure why i'm so paranoid about which psu to get. Guess I just don't want to blow close to 200 bucks if it isn't going to work for my needs.

If i'm not even going to use anywhere near 600w with this system. the st75f should be fine then right? since it seems to struggle once you try to suck too much power from it, but in reality i shouldn't be anywhere near it's max limit. why is the st75f that much worse than the zf?

Thanks!

I would heed Oklahoma Wolf's and Super Nade's advice, They have helped me in the past and haven't led my astray. The dual 12v rails allow the PSU to supply components with power more effeciently. The PSU automatically senses where to send the power. Your graphics card will go just fine with that 620W or 560W. You will be just fine with either of those PSU's. The 750W in my opinion is a tad overkill.. But if you're looking to upgrade down the road to a 8800GTX SLI or Quad Core, then the 750W *might* be a good investment...

I don't think i'm ever going to run more than 1 video card. If the 65zf will do, then i'll get that. According to greenmaji a 560 will be enough. and the 65zf is only 100 bucks.

Trike007 said:
I just got my 1950xt. I noticed that the box said it required a 30a rail. since most psu's are multi railed with about 18a max. is it splitting off with the pci slot? how does the card know which rail to pull off of?

does anyone know how much current the cpu's take? I noticed on the st75zf that cpu2 shared the same rail with the sata connectors. I plan on running 4 hd's off that line. I think the 7200.10's are rated around ~1a each leaving about 14a left for cpu2. I'm mainly concerned about the video card getting enough juice. If it is getting power off the atx connector and pci-e power i'm not sure how much power it's going to suck off the atx rail.

I'm not sure why i'm so paranoid about which psu to get. Guess I just don't want to blow close to 200 bucks if it isn't going to work for my needs.

If i'm not even going to use anywhere near 600w with this system. the st75f should be fine then right? since it seems to struggle once you try to suck too much power from it, but in reality i shouldn't be anywhere near it's max limit. why is the st75f that much worse than the zf?

Thanks!

Trike,

I agree with Dave. SN and OW's advice is on target. You won't need to spend anywhere near $200 for a power supply like the Silverstone ST56ZF.

I had the same concerns wringing my hands with buying a good quality power supply after two failed Antecs. Needless to say I was a little "gun shy." Power supplies can be a complicated and misleading issue to most of us as laymen. And you should be paranoid over buying a power supply today.

So I asked OW's advice for a modular PS and got what I have in my sig. It's exactly what I wanted and I'm tickled to death to have guys like them here to ask, otherwise it would have been a ST56ZF for me.

Get it and rest easy. Your concerns will be over.

Thanks everyone! I'm going to be gone till wednesday, I'll check back on wednesday and if I haven't decided yet i'll seek their advice. but i looked at the HX620 and it looks nice and jonny says it's a single 12v rail. I like the 620 since it's modular. I wont mind going with this psu as long as it gives me enough juice.

Back