• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dieelectric grease and 775 socket?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

metloaf

Anyone on here ever put any dielectric grease into the 775 socket? The reason I ask this is because the last time I attempted to assemble my vapochill, I ended up bending quite a few of the socket pins with the dielectric grease that I smeared in the socket. I didn't realize how fragile those little pins were and now I am on my 2nd attempt, and I don't really want to spend another $200 on a new mobo again. I am really considering not even putting any dielectric grease in the socket at all, and just use the small square neoprene pad in the middle. :beer:

While I have personally never used socket 775 I have seen it used with dielectric grease under dd ss cooling units. I would say try to put a little bit on, just a very very thin layer, then pins shouldn't have any problems getting in. Be gentle and back off if you feel its not working and try to remove some grease. You can also try to use a hair dryer or a heat gun (from a distance) to warm up the grease and help it flow, as this can help it sink in and clear some space as well as decrease its viscosity and help it not resist the pins so much. If all that didn't work you can try to again soften it with some heat then use a powerful vacuum cleaner to try and suck some out. Just a few things to try before you trash the board. Good luck :)

the pins can be fixed on the old mobo btw.. if you don't want to attempt it, I'm sure you could get someone to bite on a deal on it (listing it with bent socket pins and a pic of the socket).

I have been working on those pins for a few days now and I still can't get the mobo to post. As far as the hairdrier, thanks I think I will try that later this afternoon becasue then I won't have to smear it or push down on the pins. :beer:

Thanks for the help guys, I just ended up "softening" up the dielectric grease on my heater and then spreading it very gently with my fingers until the socket was filled. No problems and now I am very stable at 3.64 ghz with orthos and everything. I will push it some more tomorrow. I do like this phase cooling stuff a lot so far. :beer:

Last edited:
metloaf said:
Thanks for the help guys, I just ended up "softening" up the dielectric grease on my heater and then spreading it very gently with my fingers until the socket was filled. No problems and now I am very stable at 3.64 ghz with orthos and everything. I will push it some more tomorrow. I do like this phase cooling stuff a lot so far. :beer:

glad to be of help

Yeah I always use the dielectric grease in the sockets. Some people say they are not using it with the socket 775's but I wouldn't go without it. I am on my 3rd 775 Mobo and yet to have any problems with it. I use the automotive dielectric grease that is clear. It spreads in there very easy.

Well I am not planning to sell any of the boards that I have, but I have used Goof-Off on one to break the dielectric grease apart and simply wiped it down or blew it out with air. :beer:

Back