• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bent socket pins.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

metloaf

Did anyone accidentally bend any of the socket pins on a P5B-D before? I did unfortunately and they are just about impossible for me to reallign. I spent aboput 3 days trying. So now I have another mobo on the way. I am just hoping that I didnt end up shorting out my CPU. :beer:

The problem I had, was that I applied a liberal amount of dielectric grease to the socket itself to insulate it when I put my Vapochill cooler together. I must have had to much grease in there, and when I attempted to put the CPU in, initially there was a little resistance. It did manage to fit and when I had everything together, I powered up the system and the Vapochill worked as supposed to however the PC would not post. I tried this multiple times without any success. I now took it apart 2 times since and found that I have approx 10-20 pins bent at some pretty akward angles and I am still trying to get it all striaghtened out without much success. :eek:

"The problem I had, was that I applied a liberal amount of dielectric grease to the socket itself "

:eek: You are kidding, right?

No I am not kidding, that's how you're supposed to insulate the inside of the socket/cpu from consensation and to keep air and moisture out. I guess you have never heard of phase change cooling. Phase coolers literally get so cold that they will create frost/condensation with ambient temps and humidity which will fry or short out the CPU/motherboard if not insulated properly. There can't be any air gaps or any uninsulated areas at all around the socket or CPU. Otherwise it's bad juju. I was in the process of setting all that up when I must have bent the pins. I just spent another 3 hours trying to realign them however its still would not post. Now I'm just worried that I may have fried the CPU. I guess I will find out for sure in a few days, when the new mobo gets here. :drool:

Last edited:
Back