• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 Connector Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SniperXX

Ok well I am rebuilding an old P4 2.4 system. The only other PSU I have is a 300W ATX one but it doesnt have that 4 pin cable needed for the mobo. I have that cable on an old dead psu, can I somehow wire that into the new PSU?

I tryed seaching but after a few pages I didnt have any luck.

I'd just shop the 'egg or Directron for a smaller Fortron unit first.
If the psu doesn't have a P4 connector, chances are that it's 12 volt rail isn't up to the task anyway.

I agree. Definitely wouldn't be up to the task of running a P4 if there isn't the connection for a specific 12v.

Ahh really... I remember seeing people doing it back when that connector was new..

Its just the system is going into my rack @ colo and the only case I have left is a 2u and its got that PSU. I guess I'll have to save for another case which I didnt want to do but w/e.

Well before I'd do that, I'd splice the P4 connector onto 2 molex runs, so there's a wire ALL the way from the psu to the each pin on the connector.

There's doubled connectors on that plug for a reason, and that's to withstand the amperage drawn through the wires (draw exceeds wire rating).
Running two into one is just asking for a meltdown.

You could try splicing it in the way I suggested. I won't guarantee it would stay working, but you can give it a go. I guess it would just keep rebooting if it weren't getting enough juice....

Thanks for the info guys. I double checked and the chip is actually a celeron if that matters. That adapter is what I had remembered seeing.

Diy is always more satisfying. So the yellow wires on the P4 connector are just 12v? For the black grounds can I combine them to 1 gound or make each wire go to a diff pin on the ground?

Oh and the system is pretty basic.
2.4Celeron, 512MB PC2100, 60GB HD, 3x 80mm fans.

I'd match the 2 12v lines with 2 grounds...no need to put a bottleneck in the power. If it's going to use enough power to require two wires feeding it, then it's going to need two wires returning to the psu (the blacks).

BTW, when I say to splice them into 2 molex lines, I should have made it clear to fully replace the molex connectors (that's what, 4 molex's total) with the 12 volt P4 one, and tape up the unused reds/blacks. You don't want any other devices plugged into the same wires just as much as you don't want to power the P4 connector on a single wire.
I'd probably just cut off the yellow/blacks from the first molex in the chain to use for the P4 connector, and rearrange the red/blacks in that first molex to plug into fans, just be sure the fans start reliably before trusting it with your back turned. Some fans won't start at that voltage every time.

I don't guarantee that the psu will work too well, but if your gonna do it, I'll help ya to do it the safest way possible.
:thup:

Last edited:
About all I can add to this is, how strong is the 12v rail on that PSU? Many of those old PSUs had a strong 5v rail and a weak 12v rail. If it's really low, say 10-15A, it may not work even with an adapter.

But, if the PSU is strong enough and if you've got two unused molex runs to the PSU that you can use for the P4 connector it should work. Oh, and if you want a P4 plug with each black/yellow pair going to a separate molex plug, drop me a PM and I'll make one tonight and drop it in the mail tomorrow. And, FWIW, I wouldn't even try to buy anything from Monarch at this point.

Ahhh! 2U.
That explains the need to use this one psu.

Plain Jane psu's with a 120mm fan should work pretty well, they're already made with all their internals short because of the fan inside...at least that's what I'd look into doing.
A fan controller card might be the only thing to stick up above the rest of the psu circuitry.
Problem is, I'd have no way of knowing which one to get, as I've not actually tried "skinning" a psu for full time use.

Have fun bud! and post pics when your done!

Back