• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SATA dvd-rw

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm guessing they are basically the same as the IDE burners currently available. SATA won't provide a speed increase over IDE for optical drives. You're basically using it for the SATA cable to help with cable management. Although you should see some performance increase with 2 SATA drives over 2 IDE drives on the same channel. Unless you use each on their own channel.

Iv seen them on new egg, their really expensive and most of them have bad reviews, Id use IDE really, since it has less bugs and is cheaper.

I got a plextor sata dvd burner off ebay real cheap. I noticed a huge gain only because I went from a 2x to a 12x. I like it being sata cause now I don't have any IDE cables in my case. But other than that I wouldn't go buy a 12x sata burner to replace a 10x IDE burner.

SeasonalEclipse said:
Iv seen them on new egg, their really expensive and most of them have bad reviews, Id use IDE really, since it has less bugs and is cheaper.

The new SATA burners from Lite-on and Samsung are only a few bucks more than IDE models. Plextor was one of the first to make a SATA burner, but it was expensive. Hopefully this will encourage all optical drives to go SATA.

It's probably just a PATA drive with a PATA > SATA bridge chip in it. The standard PATA and 4 pin molex power connectors seem to be much more durable than the SATA connectors at this point, although a little bulkier and less clean, but there is always rounded cables. I just dont think it's worth it until optical drives become true SATA devices.

One other thing to consider is that a lot of motherboards are very stingy when it comes to providing S-ATA connectors. If you've only got 4 of them, do you really want to loose one to an optical drive? Until I can buy a motherboard that's replaced the IDE connector with two S-ATA ports I'll be using IDE for optical drives.

Back