Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Send your 8800's back! GOD has spoken!

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5665

Lol. I get the point he is trying to make, but I hate it when someone who is well known in the technology business says that a certain technology is "not for now". Kind of, no exactly as, Bill Gates stating that we'll never need more than 684K RAM.

How about encouraging the purchase of DX10 cards to spur developers to make games to take advantage of it?

He is just pointing out that software is having a hard time keeping up with hardware. It's the chicken and the egg theory, the hardware has got come first then the software. It will be awhile before DX10 can prove itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadman93723
    He is just pointing out that software is having a hard time keeping up with hardware. It's the chicken and the egg theory, the hardware has got come first then the software. It will be awhile before DX10 can prove itself.
    I know, but still... He COULD make some software that takes advantage of the hardware, but runs (with fewer features) on DX9 cards. I don't like the way Microsoft has bundled this with Vista, but then how do we really know that it does not need Vista? Regardless, is that a reason not to develop softwar to take advantage of the new technology?

Its just once persons opinion. You need to do what you want to do, and not what some one else's opinion tells you to.

No i have no idea who he is, but ill bet a pint that he has a 8800GTX.

Inactive Moderator
    this guy looks more nerdy than bill gates!

okay... on with my reading... just wanted to subscribe at the same time i read.
    ASUS Crosshair V *Water* | FX-8320 Enzotech Sapphire CPU block | 8GB Mushkin 2133 | 6970 2GB | 256GB SSD | SB X-Fi Elite Pro | Corsair 520W Modular | 3x 26" Asus VW266H Eyefinity 5760x1200 | DDC pump with petra top @ 18w, Thermochill HE 120.3 w/ 3x120x38mm Deltas 152cfm on controller |
    Xbox 360 Gamertag: g0dMAn114
    Top 5 Heatware
    **IHS Removal Tutorial**HotFlashing Tutorial**DFI NF4 UTT Problems**Funny-ChuckNorrisFacts**Custom RAM Cooler**
    nightelph: I wanted to play so bad last night but I was OC'ing my video card.

Inactive Moderator
    okay what the heck is an asymmetric CPU??
    ASUS Crosshair V *Water* | FX-8320 Enzotech Sapphire CPU block | 8GB Mushkin 2133 | 6970 2GB | 256GB SSD | SB X-Fi Elite Pro | Corsair 520W Modular | 3x 26" Asus VW266H Eyefinity 5760x1200 | DDC pump with petra top @ 18w, Thermochill HE 120.3 w/ 3x120x38mm Deltas 152cfm on controller |
    Top 5 Heatware
    **IHS Removal Tutorial**HotFlashing Tutorial**DFI NF4 UTT Problems**Funny-ChuckNorrisFacts**Custom RAM Cooler**

one piece of software that will really showcase the 8 series cards' insane caps is gonna be Crysis. Watch the trailers that game is INCREDIBLE.

This game takes advantage of the 8 series capabilities more than any other game will in the near future. The lighting is INSANE, and with the adition of the physics card... Well you'll see:

http://media.pc.gamespy.com/media/69...90/vids_1.html

If you haven't seen this, this is a must

I remember him talking about how great the Geforce 3 was because he could do all this stuff with Doom 3. It's strange having him say that the old technology is still "ok".
    cpu-Intel Core i7 3770k
    ram-G.Skill 2x4gb DDR3-1600
    gpu-Radeon HD 7950
    motherboard-Asus P8Z68-V LE

Inactive Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Mind Trick
    one piece of software that will really showcase the 8 series cards' insane caps is gonna be Crysis. Watch the trailers that game is INCREDIBLE.

This game takes advantage of the 8 series capabilities more than any other game will in the near future. The lighting is INSANE, and with the adition of the physics card... Well you'll see:

http://media.pc.gamespy.com/media/69...90/vids_1.html

If you haven't seen this, this is a must
    i think i've seen that b4... when's it come out? something like that would make me take the plunge and spend $500 on a vid card... sad as it may sound, i can see myself doing it...
    Top 5 Heatware

I was just taking a look at those other Crysis trailers....insanity. I can't wait for this game! BTW an interesting article was on Gamespot.com the other day about DX10 and Crysis. Apparently a high-end dx9 system will get *almost* as good of image quality as a computer equipped with Vista and a DX10 video card. It should be great!
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | Intel Centrino Duo T2300 1.67Ghz | 2GB DDR2 | Intel GMA 950 GFX |
    Heatware 8-0-0

http://www.crysis-online.com/ has a lot of nice HD videos of crysis.

Back on topic, John Carmack sounds like a little baby. Seems like he's just crying because all this new tech makes things a little harder for him. Just because he can't keep up with new tech doesn't mean we shouldn't encourage it. Where would we be if everyone had this "Meh, it's good enough" attitude that John Carmack seems to have.
    ECS A785GM-AD3
    Cooler Master GeminII S
    Athlon II X3 450 (3.64ghz@1.5v)
    4gb Kingston HyperX (1516 9-9-9-24)
    ATI HD 5770 (990/1375@1.212v)
    Corsair VX450
    Asus VE228H

I think the following excerpt from the article is very true. I've read articles upon articles from vista and i'm very disapointed. It would have been fine two years ago but after 7 years in the making i'm not impressed.
    "They’re artificially doing that by tying DX10 so close it, which is really nothing about the OS ... They’re really grasping at straws for reasons to upgrade the operating system. I suspect I could run XP for a great many more years without having a problem with it,” he said."

Sounds to me like whining because "it's too hard to write games for this new hardware". Awww...

Antec P180B | Seasonic S12-500 | ASUS P5B Deluxe | E6600 C2D | ATI HD5770 | OCZ Reaper PC6400 2x2GB | 2TB total storage | 2x HP 23" LCD | Logitech Z-640 5.1 speakers | Logitech G15 and G5 DELUXE

My HEAT

Don't forget Carmack is basically one of the men responsble for giving us 3D gaming and makes people like Gabe Newell look like a noob with his super nerdness.
    He is right though, technology moves far too fast now. If we slowed down a little and gave developers the time to work with the hardware without throwing something new in their face every 2 seconds, we would probably still get the same results without costing gamers an arm and a leg all the time. I think he is just trying to point out to the people that upgrade every two seconds the industry is just ripping you off.
    Intel E6600 | Gigabyte 965P-DS3P | 2GB Corsair VS PC5400 (x2 1GB)
    Chieftec Dragon side panel modded for 120mm fan | Corsair HX 520w
    XpertVision 8800GT Sonic | Samsung SyncMaster 940BW 19" WS / Toshiba 37" HDTV (37Z3030D)
    Seagate 7200.10 250GB SATAII HD | X-Fi Gamer

At first it seemed like we replaced Directx 8.1 with 9 very quickly but 9 has had a long life span. It is time to move on to newer technologies. Maybe having a child has taken some time from his coding.
    cpu-Intel Core i7 3770k
    gpu-Radeon HD 7950

I don't think Carmack is whining at all (although if you've ever heard his speaking voice you may think so). He's simply saying that advances in technology for advancement's sake don't always benefit the consumer. Also, software always trails hardware by a generation or more.

Making games isn't an easy business. The money required up front is astounding - it's almost an entirely front-loaded business. Carmack is one of the most pragmatic game programmers out there, and is a lifelong student of graphics programming. Even Michael Abrash was in awe of the ability of Carmack to analyze a problem and develop the most workable solution in a short period of time. He's not a god, but he's pretty good at what he does. In his world, constant change in hardware is simply moving the finish line time and time again. From what I've read over the past 15 years, he's always sticking up for the consumer in terms of hardware, and is quick to point out the faults of a particular hardware design or product.

My point: he's looking out for the consumer, and he has sufficient reputation to influence hardware manufacturers in a way that benefits consumers. He certainly doesn't dictate what hardware companies do, but he's trying to make life easier for games programmers, which ultimately means more and better games for consumers.

His statements on the movement to multiple cores is enlightening. Moving to multiple cores requires a fundamental shift in how game engines are developed from the ground up.
    Not very active these days. PMs are the best way to reach me.

heatware

Carmack has an axe of his own to grind. This quote is telling.

“I especially like the work I’m doing on the 360, and it’s probably the best graphics API as far as a sensibly designed thing that I’ve worked with.”

He cannot trash the work he is doing now, and he is using the DOOM3 engine with DX9. To recode that for DX10 would delay the game for a year. Since he is no longer on the bleeding edge of the curve, all he can do is sit back and poo poo.

He also downplayed the value of dual core CPUs in gaming, which we all have come to realize is just wrong. He definitely has an agenda, and DX10 and dual core CPUs are not part of the solution for his personal career choices.
    i5 2500K@4.5; Asus P8P67 deluxe; 8 GB G.Skill DDR3 1600; Mushkin 120 GB SSD; 2T WD caviar, 500 GB WD caviar; HD7950
    E8500 @3.6 GHz; Asus P5Q Pro Turbo; 4 GB OCZ Reaper DDR2 1066;
    i5 2550; P8P67 deluxe, 8 GB OCZ DDR2 800; 60 Agility SSD; 2x500 GB RAID 0; 250 GB Caviar; HD6950
    E4400 @3 GHz, Abit AB9 pro, Gigabyte 7300 GT silent; 2GB Supertalent PC5400; 3x36 Raptors RAID 0:5

Well that's a little harsh but I'm surprised that he is opposed to dx10 and dual cores. We had dx9 since 2002 and it's time for something new.
    cpu-Intel Core i7 3770k
    gpu-Radeon HD 7950

Inactive Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by fabulouscoops
    He definitely has an agenda, and DX10 and dual core CPUs are not part of the solution for his personal career choices.
    Well then we can't expect to see any games that will really open our eyes in awe.

At this particular moment, I think multi-core processors are the only solution to having more muscles for processing graphics. Single-core I guess isn't cutting it... and if that's what he wants, he's asking WAY TOO MUCH...

I can sorta understand how single-core would be much easier to code for, though...

Oh well, life happens, and I'm sure some other dude with enough education will replace him someday soon with support for newer tech... the world goes 'round...

Benjamin Franklin discovered the light bulb, but did he say we can't use florescent bulbs? Come on ppl... this guy has his points, but if there is another solution for progression, then so be it.

Technology will ALWAYS progress, and exponentially (imo)... it's a costly manner, but I'm enjoying it.
    Top 5 Heatware

Quote Originally Posted by fabulouscoops
    Carmack has an axe of his own to grind. This quote is telling.

“I especially like the work I’m doing on the 360, and it’s probably the best graphics API as far as a sensibly designed thing that I’ve worked with.”

He cannot trash the work he is doing now, and he is using the DOOM3 engine with DX9. To recode that for DX10 would delay the game for a year. Since he is no longer on the bleeding edge of the curve, all he can do is sit back and poo poo.

He also downplayed the value of dual core CPUs in gaming, which we all have come to realize is just wrong. He definitely has an agenda, and DX10 and dual core CPUs are not part of the solution for his personal career choices.
    EDIT: Also, please look at the original interview which DailyTech needlessly abridged and cribbed from: http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Sto...034.htm?Page=1

I've been following Carmack for some time. He's always been the king of the pragmatists. I really think he's talking frankly about the technical issues, and doing so from a purely technical standpoint. Doom3 with D3D9? No, try OpenGL. Your analysis of this isn't based in fact.

He's not downplaying the value of multicore CPUs, but simply saying that it requires a paradigm shift in how games are developed. For the record, the doom engine scales pretty nicely on a multi-core CPU, and the multi-core patch has been applied to subsequent engines. But his point is this: it's much easier to develop for single-core systems than it is to develop for multi-core systems. No developer will disagree with this. He realizes that multi-core CPUs are a reality, and he's designing engines around this fact. But DX10 won't have widespread hardware support until at least calendar year 2008, and if the benefits aren't that great, then why cater to such a small crowd?

I really don't think he has an axe to grind here. He's a huge supporter of OpenGL (and open standards in general), and he's not entrenched in Direct3D 9, so I don't see where the bias is. I don't think you'll find a developer who isn't being paid for a platform exclusive who will tell you that Carmack is way off-base with his assertions here.

Crysis looks great - but as he indicates, it's not a shipping product. It may be soon, and it will look absolutely stunning, albeit on a very small percentage of end users' machines.
    Not very active these days. PMs are the best way to reach me.

heatware

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast