• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems running SMP live ubuntu 6.10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dwschoon

System Specs:
ASUS P5WD2-E Premium board
D805@4ghz
1gig ddr2 ram
PNY Geforce 6600 video

This box must stay windows for work, but I wanted to try SMP, so im running ubuntu 6.10 live. I had problems even getting it to boot. The only way it will boot is to set the video at 1600x1200x16 and run "irqpoll". With these options it will now boot reliably. I got the 32 bit libraries and installed FAH. It keeps getting an error and stopping though. The client stays open and tries to send results every few hours, but stops folding. Im going to set the system back to all defaults to rule out an unstable system, but it has been folding 2 instances perfectly stable for 6 months now.

Code:
starting mdrun 'SMP-ensv-03'
5000000 steps,  10000.0 ps.

[23:14:57] ompleted 0 out of 5000000 steps  (0 percent)
[23:14:57] a SSE boost OK.
[23:22:47] les
[23:22:47] Completed 50000 out of 5000000 steps  (1 percent)
[23:30:38] Writing local files
[23:30:38] Completed 100000 out of 5000000 steps  (2 percent)
[23:38:30] Writing local files
[23:38:30] Completed 150000 out of 5000000 steps  (3 percent)
[23:46:22] Writing local files
[23:46:22] Completed 200000 out of 5000000 steps  (4 percent)
[cli_0]: aborting job:
Fatal error in MPI_Sendrecv: Error message texts are not available
[cli_3]: aborting job:
Fatal error in MPI_Wait: Error message texts are not available
[05:14:24] - Autosending finished units...
[05:14:24] Trying to send all finished work units
[05:14:24] + No unsent completed units remaining.
[05:14:24] - Autosend completed
[11:14:24] - Autosending finished units...
[11:14:24] Trying to send all finished work units
[11:14:24] + No unsent completed units remaining.
[11:14:24] - Autosend completed

arrrrgh! Now the box cant get work. It talks to the assignment server, but gets assigned to 0.0.0.0

Code:
[15:55:01] + Attempting to get work packet
[15:55:01] - Will indicate memory of 1002 MB
[15:55:01] - Connecting to assignment server
[15:55:01] Connecting to http://assign.stanford.edu:8080/
[15:55:01] Posted data.
[15:55:01] Initial: 0000; - Successful: assigned to (0.0.0.0).
[15:55:01] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
[15:55:01] Work Unit has an invalid address.
[15:55:01] - Error: Attempt #6  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
             Waiting before retry.

dwschoon said:
arrrrgh! Now the box cant get work. It talks to the assignment server, but gets assigned to 0.0.0.0

Code:
[15:55:01] + Attempting to get work packet
[15:55:01] - Will indicate memory of 1002 MB
[15:55:01] - Connecting to assignment server
[15:55:01] Connecting to http://assign.stanford.edu:8080/
[15:55:01] Posted data.
[15:55:01] Initial: 0000; - Successful: assigned to (0.0.0.0).
[15:55:01] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
[15:55:01] Work Unit has an invalid address.
[15:55:01] - Error: Attempt #6  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
             Waiting before retry.

There is a known bug that can cause this in SMP folding.

Remove the advanced methods flag and it will be OK.

You can read a bit more on the FAH forums:
http://forum.folding-community.org/ftopic17297.html

Adak

Do you have big packets = yes in your client.cfg file?

Adak

no. started the client, entered my name, team#, and left everything else default. Ill try rebooting one more time and starting over.

You mean run the client in -config flag mode, right?

When you get the address 0.0.0.0 from the assignment server, it means the assignment server doesn't see the rig as being capable of SMP folding - but it has no place to send it, since it's not programmed to send such over to the regular linux folding assignment server.

There is a handy text editor in Ubuntu to edit your client.cfg file manually if you like:
Click on Applications==>Accessories==>and scroll down to the last entry on the list - Text Editor. Nice little program.

Adak

i use these instructions
Code:
in the drop down menu at the top (Accessories), select "terminal", and type: 

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs 

and answer yes to it request for disk space. 

INSTALL folding at home SMP from typing the following: 

mkdir -p ~/folding/FAH 
cd ~/folding/FAH 
wget http://folding.stanford.edu/release/FAH_SMP_Linux.tgz
tar xzf FAH_SMP_Linux.tgz 

GET IT RUNNING WITH: 

./fah5

The Ubuntu instructions look OK. But you need to change the client.cfg file in the directory /folding/FAH.

My instructions would be get Ubuntu running and leave SMP shut down for a second.

Click on "Applications" in the upper left corner of the desktop. Select "Accessories", then scroll down to "Text Editor" and click on it.

Click on "Open a File" in the text editor program. You'll see a directory (or folder), of "folding". Double click on "folding".

Now double ciick on FAH folder and then also double click on "client.cfg" folder.

Move the cursor down to "big packets = no" and Carefully change the "No" to "Yes". Then save the file by clicking on that icon.

Close the editor, and then start up SMP client, same as always. That should do it.

Adak

Last edited:
Adak said:
The Ubuntu instructions look OK. But you need to change the client.cfg file in the directory /folding/FAH.

My instructions would be get Ubuntu running and leave SMP shut down for a second.

Click on "Applications" in the upper left corner of the desktop. Select "Accessories", then scroll down to "Text Editor" and click on it.

Click on "Open a File" in the text editor program. You'll see a directory (or folder), of "folding". Double click on "folding".

More in a sec

Adak

When I run it that way, it makes me config a client.cfg file anyway. If i can find another hd, ill just install ubuntu on it and dual boot with winxp. then i wont have to config it everytime i reboot. Maybe there is a setting in the bios that got screwed up when i reset it to default. I dont know what that could be though, and it makes no sense that the internet would work and I can download the client, but not get assigned work.

OK, then. Easy to just answer the configuration questions right that way. You need big packets = yes to fold SMP.

I'm not exactly sure of all the in's and out's of their reasoning, but I can assure you, this is EXACTLY what they have been saying on the FAH forum, for some weeks now - this is the only way you can SMP fold, by Stanford's design.

The download anybody can do - but SMP WU's are restricted now and the server will check that each folder requesting SMP WU's has a dual core, and big packets, each time. (and by mistake, no advanced methods flag).

It's got nothing to do with your BIOS settings. Stanford had a lot of single-core folders working on SMP, and they definitely wanted/needed to stop that. Another thing they did was greatly shorten the deadline for the SMP WU's. Many have just three days before they reach their FINAL deadline, two days before they reach their preferred deadline.

Adak

Last edited:
Ok, here is my client.cfg file. It still fails. It was working yesterday, with the exception of the core errors. Ive done nothing different today.
Code:
[settings]
username=dwschoon
team=32
asknet=no
bigpackets=yes
machineid=1

[http]
active=no
host=localhost
port=8080

Crazy! That server must have gone bonkers just a few hours ago. I've got an SMP rig that just received it's SMP WU from that very same server a few hours back.

I guess their servers are only human. :)

Hopefully it will be back up and working right, soon!

Adak

Thanks for the clue on how to get this to run on p5wd2-e :)

I tried to load 6.10 last weekend but it would not complete the boot from the cd so i gave up on it and went on to other rigs.

I was going to try it with 6.06 this weekend to see if it will load clean. I am running 6.10 on all the other rigs fine so far except for 1 which is running 6.06 under vmware.

I am still going to try 6.06 before i start fiddling with bios only cuz i don't like to have too many different setting on the different rigs to remember :eek:

I have figured out something else with 6.10. I dont know much about hard drives or controllers. This box has a WD SATAII drive in it. In the bios the sata controller was set to standard IDE and the enhanced mode was set to sata and pata. Aparently, ubuntu doesnt like this, and I should be running my sata drive in achi mode. After getting the ahci driver from intel and setting the sata controller to ahci in the bios, my windows install runs better, and i can run ubuntu 6.10 live with default settings without any problems. Before, unless i used irqpoll, ubuntu was very slow and locked up, assuming it ran.

Well after i figured out my bios issues, i reset my system back to 4ghz and am trying folding again, Im currently getting 8min/frame. Lets hope it doesnt crash this time.

The SMP work server is also back up and working.

Hopefully, your problems are history.

Adak

I hope my headless SMP machines are getting something to do; I forgot to check them before I left for work...won't be back home til midnight. :eek:
I noticed no new pointage from my farm, for the past 2 updates . :-/

Back