• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A good printer with cheap ink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

@md0Cer

What is the most economical printer to buy that has cheap ink? I hear it is Canon with the individual cartridges which are cheaper than Epsons and can also be refilled when an Epson cartridge can't?

I am looking for something with low ink costs and preferably some nice photo quality. I am probably looking in the 50 dollar range used on craigslist but am wondering what brand to go for.

Thanks a bunch. This is kinda embarassing asking about printers in an OCing forum. :eek: :eek:

If you are looking in the used market, try to find a printer that uses cartridges that DO NOT have embedded chips that force you to buy the manufacturer's ink.

Canon is probably the best way, find printer that has no chips in cartridges. Then you be able to refill it yourself. I own canon prixima mp780, I bought new cartridges for like $3 online each.

If you want cheap ink, laser printers are the way to go. Buying a color one is a fair amount of change though. If you just need B&W an HP laser jet 4 or better is an excellent investment and the toner cost is about 1/2 what it is per sheet for your average inkjet.

Awsome thanks for the info everyone. How can I tell if it uses chipped cartridges? Or do most Canon's not have them? I know Epson uses chipped cartridges.

Sorry this reply is so late. I think ALL the new Epsons, Canons, Leximarks, and even the minor printer makers use chipped cartridges.

In the older/used market--I think Epson was the next to last and Canon was the last printer maker to use non-chipped cartridges. I couldn't tell you for sure which models (or numbers) used non-chipped, but you can probably find out easily enough by going to their respective web sites and reading the product info.

Your best bet is to find which printers are on the used market and search on those specific printers.

Good luck!

Back