• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my Radiator enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SuperDave1685

Just a quick question... I have a 120mm Black Ice Rad. I know it isn't the best radiator on the market... But will it be able to handle the heat load of an overclocked Opteron 170 and a X1900 CF o/c'ed? I got some 1/2" barbs from the local store here in case I need to upgrade to a '86 Heatercore..

*side note*- to get the barbs on a heatercore, could I just use permatex to secure the barbs onto the heatcore ends?

It will handle one cpu and one gpu with a good strong pump and a decent fan.

D5 > Coolrad12 > Fusion gpu > RBX64. kept my 165 @2.6 and 7900gs with 1.55vcore @ 733 down to 46 cpu/gpu.

It has to be a BIX or extreme to handle the heat load. otherwise a bip2 will do the job and make less noise =)

ahhh ok... thanks.. its a BIX by the way... I'm thinking about getting a '86 Chevette heater core anyways here soon to maybe drop my temps down. I'm looking to get an Opteron 170 here within the next week and I just want to be sure my BIX can handle the heat. My current setup has a MCP650 pump, a Swiftech Apogee block and the BIX 120mm rad...

If you do get a heater core I wouldn't bother putting on barbs, just cut the leads back to the straight 1/2" pipe section. 1/2" tubing goes right over 1/2" copper and it's less restrictive than barbs ...

A single rad will handle it with a higher cfm fan on it, but your temps will suffer over what you would get with a good dual rad, which may effect your overclock. Rads have come down in price so much that I would personally just get a MCR220 and be done with it.

If you go with a heatercore, DON"T trust permatex. Either just put the hoses onto the cut off copper inlet and outlet pipes (usually the easiest thing to do), or solder or in the least JB weld copper barbs on.

SuperDave1685 said:
ahhh ok... thanks.. its a BIX by the way... I'm thinking about getting a '86 Chevette heater core anyways here soon to maybe drop my temps down. I'm looking to get an Opteron 170 here within the next week and I just want to be sure my BIX can handle the heat. My current setup has a MCP650 pump, a Swiftech Apogee block and the BIX 120mm rad...

Changing from a BIX to a chevette heater core, isn't going to make all that much of a difference. Maybe 2C better temps with the heater core. I would keep the BIX as long as it's giving you temps that you can be satisfied with. Otherwise just go for a dual rad.

QuietIce said:
If you do get a heater core I wouldn't bother putting on barbs, just cut the leads back to the straight 1/2" pipe section. 1/2" tubing goes right over 1/2" copper and it's less restrictive than barbs ...
I managed to get 7/16" Masterkleer over 1/2" copper pipe on a heater core, use some boiling water to heat up the tubing if you are having troubles.

Back