• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

eSATA HDD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

prankstar008

I just bought an external HDD enclosure with eSATA. How do I safely remove it from my computer? All I have on it is music, so I figure as long as my music player is closed, powering off the drive shouldn't be a problem. I know SATA is supposed to be hot swapable, but is there a formal unmounting processes that I'm supposed to do? When I connect the drive w/ USB (it has both connections) I get the "safely remove hardware" thing, but not when I use SATA. I'd leave the drive on all the time, but it gets a little warm and I don't want to shorten its life by leaving it on when I'm not using it. THanks

What do you think happens when you turn off computer? Same thing happens. I have wester digital external hard drive, it has a feature that it powers itself off if it is not used for more than 10min. Same as fliping a switch.

uh...when I turn off my computer it unmounts the filesystem and then powers off, at least thats what it says.... I'm just worried cause I know what happens to my iPod when I unplug it when it says not to.

Back