• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Simple switch for fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RIPSTER

Im going to be installing an additional 60mm fan in the side of my Xbox to aid HDD cooling, Im wondering is it possible to rig some kind of switch to allow control of the fan, ill only be needing the fan when running Hard drive intensive apps, games etc. I dont want to have to buy a whole fan controller for such a simple thing.

Im wondering wether I could use the inverter that came with my CC, I understand that I cant use the inverter itself but along with that comes a small rocker switch, would it be as simple as splicing the rocker switches cables in to the ground and 5v of the fans?

any help would be greatly appreciated

RIPSTER

The rocker switch in the pic is the one im trying to use, could I just cut the two wires going in to the rocker switch and wire the switch up to my fan, what order should the fan/rocker/molex be set up for it to work?

thnx

Yep, just splice 3 more wires off the red line after the switch on the fan side, but make sure you have a switch that is rated for high enough current that you are puting on it.

Just like this:

multiplefans.jpg

As for rating, add the amperage from each fan to give the rating needed on the switch.

Knacko said:
Just like this:

multiplefans.jpg

As for rating, add the amperage from each fan to give the rating needed on the switch.

To follow good electrical guidelines you should put the switch in the Power wire (red), not the ground.

And unless you are going to be running HUGE fans, just about any toggle switch will do.

Back