• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a ? about PrimoChill ICE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WejRepus

Do i need to worry about algae growth with this liquid?
As far as I can tell, the two reasons you supplement distilled water with additives is to prevent corrosion and to prevent algae growth. If i use PC ICE as my liquid then, according to the product description, that takes care of any corrosion concerns. But it does not mention any sort of growth inhibitor. Is this because it is ridiculous to think that anything could grow in PC ICE or is it because i need to add something else?

PC Ice doesn't need any additives. Everything is included.

I really wouldn't however recommend using PC Ice as I have seen a number of threads where this stuff really clogs up waterblocks and such. I remember a thread some time ago where the waterblock looked like someone had poured sludge into it.

In general, the premade fluids like this and Fluid XP, etc. are a waste of money. Initially, they are nonconductive, but in short order they become conductive anyway as they leach copper from the blocks. Good old distilled water with a biocide (like Petrastechshop PT Nuke or just pet store algaecide and/or a few drops of povidone-iodine) is all that is needed. IF you are using aluminum and copper components, then 10-15% antifreeze is a good idea for corrosion protection. If your setup is all copper, then antifreeze is not necessary.

just use the clear pc ice and you wont have an issue with "clogging" as the other poster said...even if there is such a thing...
i used primochill pc-ice red(before dye bombs) and ran it in my system for 8 months without any issues. nothing a little vinegar soak cant clean up.
the reason i changed fluid was because of a hardware change...
im still using PC-ice and will continue to use it...

the new formulation seems even better than the original.

I'm also a user of PC Ice, no algae, non-conductive, looks great. One $20 bottle fills my entire loop, I'll gladly pay that for the peace of mind, good looks and longevity are added bonuses.

voigts, im actually concerned about the mixing of metals bit. i do that the black ice extreme is copper but its sprayed black and my block is copper. but how about the barbs that come out of the rad (the barbs that black ice supplies). it doesn't look copper at all, but im quite sure its plated. meaning to say in most people's setups there will be mixing of metals. unless you change to a copper barb.

I use plastic barbs that came with my Storm and black ice extreme, I've also seen brass ones (home depot) and my NV68 has chrome colored ones (not sure what metal).

the barbs don't pose any corrosion issue. Metal have to be dissimilar enough to cause corrosion, and that is not the case with the barbs.

Springbok said:
I'm also a user of PC Ice, no algae, non-conductive, looks great. One $20 bottle fills my entire loop, I'll gladly pay that for the peace of mind, good looks and longevity are added bonuses.

For $20 you could buy a ton of distilled water, a big bottle of pentosin coolant for the blue color/anti corosion properties, and some povidone iodine.

I actually bought a very large container of Pentosin for $20 which would be good for probably 10-15 gallons of coolant when diluted to 10%-15% or so. It only takes about 1/4 of a gallon to fill my system. I'm set for life. :p

Back