• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

m3 screw diameter?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drinkyoghurt

hey guys,

i have a bix II, i use m3 screws on it but i received a spacer set which should be m3 but it is too small(2mm)

how much is an m3 diameter? because a 3mm screw(same thing, but not long enough) does fit in it

A standard M3 bolt is supposed to be 3 millimeters in diameter on the outside (points) of the threads, and have 5 threads per centimeter.

I thought BIX took a #6 bolt (an American sizing, not to be confused with an M6).

Yeah, most radiators come with holes for #6 sheet metal screws (the self-tapping kind). If you want to use machine screws you'll have to use a tapping bit to add a thread to the holes (UNC #6-32 works best).

well i used m3 for my fans and that worked great(nice and secure) but i bought some screws as spacers (yeah for 8 euros i was dumb back then) and now when i tried them to mount they where 2 mm and too small

If an M3 works, then go for it...unlucky you have to shop some more for the right spacers though. You could try motherboard standoffs, they're #6 and may still fit the M3'd holes...

So Pokẽmon Island is in the EU?...figures. You guys get all the cool stuff! :D

Ah. I don't use a BIX. I use a Toyota truck radiator and a Ford heater core.
I had a Black Ice Prime years ago, but it came second-hand from the classifieds with the holes stripped out for me.
I just soldered on some brass nuts over the holes and went about my business. :thup:

Back