• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgraded P5B to P5B-D With No Joy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bobad

I've been running my P5B for a few months, and overclocking was no problem. I could get up to 3.6ghz by pushing the VCore over 1.4v, no hassle.

Wanting more (of course!), I had a chance to "upgrade" to a P5B Deluxe.

Well wouldn't you know it, I can hardly overclock at all now. :(

To get to 3.3ghz with the old board, all I did was bump the VCore to 1.3625, and VRam to 2.1v (Always using using BIOS... See my sig)

I'm not sure about all the "extra" settings in the P5B-D. Am I missing a common setting that will hold me back, or should I go back to my old board?

Many thanks,,,

Damn, I'd like to know more about this...

On my p5b-d I'm stuck at 430x7 (3010mhz) because my temps on load are just at 60c max. That seems very high especially according to everyone else I see, and their numbers. :confused:

That doesn't have to do with the p5b-d does it? :mad:

I've even got a pretty good heatsink, grrr.

edit: Oh but you have a E64.... should I be able to do the same with an E63?

the p5b-dlx is a better board in every way.

have you updated the bios? can you list all the settings you are trying? do you have anything set to auto?

hUMANbEATbOX said:
the p5b-dlx is a better board in every way.

have you updated the bios? can you list all the settings you are trying? do you have anything set to auto?

Running 0614 BIOS. Is it decent?

I've tried most things in manual and auto. I jumped directly to 402 FSB, because my old boad didn't like anything under 400.

What should PCI-E Clock Sync be set to? The only choice is 33.3 and Auto. I thought that could go up to 100, but maybe I'm dreaming.

Speaking of PCIE, I also updated the GPU from a 6600 to an EVGA 7600GT. Wonder if i's part of the problem?

Thanks!!!

there is a newer bios, but i've had success with the one you are running. should be fine.

pcie-e should be 100 or 101, pci should be 33.3.

i don't think the video card should have anything to do with it.

UPDATE:

Everything at default except a RAM voltage boost to 2.1V (the voltage at which I used to run it), it will not POST!

I pulled 1 stick, and also swapped sticks, it didn't help. I re-seated the RAM, that didn't help either.

I can actually overclock now. As long as I leave the RAM voltage in "Auto", I can overclock.

My next re-boot, I will boot into Memtest and see if my RAM may have got damaged.

going by your sig, why are you running your memory timings so loose? those are 4-4-4-15 sticks aren't they?

hUMANbEATbOX said:
going by your sig, why are you running your memory timings so loose? those are 4-4-4-15 sticks aren't they?

These sticks are 5-5-5-12.

I just ran Memtest nearly 2 hours with no errors, yet it has all the symptoms of being RAM related.

Just for grins and giggles, I tried 2810 Mhz with everything on auto/default except FSB (350) and VCore (1.3625).

If anyone has any idea what's going on, I would appreciate something to try!

EDIT, UPDATE: Now running 3216 at default RAM voltage! This is strange. When I tweak the RAM voltage even 1 notch, my system won't boot even at stock FSB!

Thanks,,,

Last edited:
i'm just downloading something now, but when i'm done i'll reboot and take a pic of my bios for you.

...about 10 mins...

ok, so first i would do this:
369308928_a79ba47a3c.jpg

and then, this is what i would probably use if i had a e6400 and wanted 8*450, the settings that i actually use for 7*500+ wouldn't really help, because of your ram:
369308770_e76e49cdf1.jpg

Last edited:
Did you get it used?
If so the prior owner might have had tight subtimings set.. try resetting the CMOS.

Also make sure you've got your memory running at the correct ratio. When I first put my rig together I had problems overclocking because my dividers were all messed up.

greenmaji said:
Did you get it used?
If so the prior owner might have had tight subtimings set. try resetting the CMOS.

greenmaj,

No, got the board brand new. I have already tried resetting the BIOS to default, and it didn't help.

I've isolated the problem to 1 thing: The board boots fine with the memory voltage in the "Auto" setting. When I change it from "Auto" to any setting (tried 1.8-2.4) the system won't POST. I can tweak all other settings and boot fine except for the memory setting.

HBB: Thanks big time for the pictures!

Last edited:
inkfx said:
Also make sure you've got your memory running at the correct ratio. When I first put my rig together I had problems overclocking because my dividers were all messed up.

Currently running 1:1, but there was some strangeness there.

When trying some settings (not related to memory) CPU-Z would sometimes show 2:3 ratio. It has settled down to 1:1 now.

I'm maxxed out at 3216mhz right now because I need more RAM voltage. But as I said, every time I try to bump it, the board refuses to POST.

Does anyone have an idea what I'm missing? I'm beginning to think this board is defective.

Many thanks,,,

Back