• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best laptop brand to buy...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have a Dell Latitude which is the business line, and it's a very solid laptop. I've put it through a lot in my first semester of college, and it's still going strong. I really like the build quality, although I will admit that Inspirons aren't quite as nice.

WaTTz said:
First and only.

Core Duo
1GB RAM
XP SP2

Works flawlessly.

Most will work seemingly flawlessly.

I used to really like NEC notebooks ( circa 96,97) then Used an IBM and didn't understand how I could have liked my NEC, over time brands have become more similar, The real differences are in the tactical feed back from the keyboard, the way in which onboard Wifi is controlled, power save options, and screen quality. the way they work should very little between brands as Windows XP and I'll assume vista to be the same work so much better with so much more hardware then previous generations did. which is what caused poor notebook brands, with proprietary components.

I plan on getting a T60 widescreen w/ C2D 2.0 GHz, 2gb of ram and 8x dual layer dvd drive for college next year!

deRusett said:
Most will work seemingly flawlessly...

Please refer to my previous post.

In our shop we get laptops of every type on a daily basis. I can attest quite clearly that some makes are generally higher quality than others based upon having sold, disassembled, and serviced hundreds of them.

IBM stands out above the rest not only in build quality, but also in terms of overall support. How many other manufacturers offer complete disassembly manuals as well as part lists on their websites?

We've also sold many Toshibas. While they don't quite measure up to IBM, they are generally good, solid laptops that can withstand a great deal of abuse, are easy to service and have decent parts availability.

I'll restate it here: you can get a lemon from any manufacturer, but when you look at quantities of machines, I see a general trend of more IBMs and Toshibas in the field rather than on the bench.

Back