• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wut would 300db sound like?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i belive kicker in their competitions has gotten up to 176.5db or something like that, a new record for stereos

edit: make that 171.1 db...my bad

Last edited:
In the weapon they're testing for low frequency, they use a chamber with a constant feed of propane. The spark plug in it fires at the desired frequency. This sound force is propelled out of 6 or 8 holes in one end into a feed horn.
It got the the name brown noise from the effect it has on people...you don't wanna fight much when you're all sh***y!

Doesn't anyone watch Discovery channel?

As for the fans, add all you want, but the panaflo L1A's are the quitest I've found. Checkout www.caseetc.com. That's where I got mine with only 3 days delivery time UPS. Both the PSU and the harddrives are louder than my 120mm. For that fan, you can quiet it down more with a 35ohm, 5watt resistor, or a potentiometer if you'd like.

The 5 watter's have heat sinks on em (cool) and it's the only heat sink in my case........give me that cold clear water baby!

I'mnot 100% sure, but I wouldn't doubt it-- I did some research, and according to my math skills at 2:00 AM and my trusty hewlett packard 48GX calculator, 300 Db would be 2.901999 x 10^291 PSI:eek:

RangerJoe said:
i belive kicker in their competitions has gotten up to 176.5db or something like that, a new record for stereos

edit: make that 171.1 db...my bad

The world record is 179.9db. It was made by Team Gates.

Heck i had a buddy that placed 7th in the World IASCA, form Streo One, Fayettville, AR..

65 VW Bug, 16 "10" JL Audio subs, like 7000watts, it was 165db, and when i sat in it and set my soda on the dash , a guy from an exterior control panel, cranked it up and it rattled the molding out of the doors, and after the soda bounced off the windows needless to say i was wearing it... That in itself was insanely loud, 179 db by Alma Gates i dont even wanna hear that.

I mean to get a 3db increase it had to double the spl, (sound pressure level) and for a 8db increase it is like double the perceived sound level. so to sit in a area with 179 db would be 14db more than the car i sat in, making that almost 2x louder than a car, whose sound waves threw things on the dash into the windsheild....that is loud.

300db.....lol that is amazing to just think about, i mean if and when the big bang theroy ever really happened it probly was not 300db, i dont think that kinda sound had been or even will be heard in this universe, but at that level i think itd tear the universe apart

Last edited:
mw521 said:
They already developed this weapon, but it was banned under the "strange weapons treaty" they discovered it caused 'nad mutations so it was cruel and unusual!:beer:

Are you talking about the Hydrogen bomb, well i had actually looked into that while in High School, and it is not a sound producing weapon, it is like and atomic bomb, just that is splits atoms of Hydrogen. sililar effect, more radiation.

And get this there is soemthing like 4 Cobalt Bombs, they have made and can never use unless they wanna new planet. Im not a chemist, but it said it would react with all the gases in the atmosphere, therfore demolishing the entire playnet in like 14 minutes.

that was just read by me in Popular Science while in High School, it could be complete BS

Last edited:
oc jason said:

Are you talking about the Hydrogen bomb, well i had actually looked into that while in High School, and it is not a sound producing weapon, it is like and atomic bomb, just that is splits atoms of Hydrogen. sililar effect, more radiation.

And get this there is soemthing like 4 Cobalt Bombs, they have made and can never use unless they wanna new planet. Im not a chemist, but it said it would react with all the gases in the atmosphere, therfore demolishing the entire playnet in like 14 minutes.

that was just read by me in Popular Science while in High School, it could be complete BS

Semi-right on the H-Bomb... It uses isotopes of hydrogen injected into the fission reaction to start fusion. So in addition to splitting atoms of Plutonium and Uranium, it's fusing atoms of Hydrogen into helium. It produces more energy and hence more destruction. As far as Cobalt Bombs and other "dirty bombs" go, they work based on the halflife of the dopant. Cobalt is poison to pretty much all living things for several (hundred?) thousand years... Pretty much so long that it makes the area hit by the bomb completely worthless forever in our short lifetimes. It would be many generations before it could be used at all, and would probably still be dangerous after that. I'm not sure about reacting with gasses in the atmosphere, it's plausible, though I haven't heard of that with cobalt bombs.
All from memory, so I too could be wrong.
peace
John

i hear the (ch)air force buitl a 3 story sub woofer with a funnle on it ( to concentrate teh sound ) to test the effects off sonic booms on a house

anybody know anything about this i ( im trying to find the article now it was in a pop sience)

I do remember reading something like that... I'll join your search for the article.
Peace
John

Edit: Well... It looks like they don't do it that way anymore... found this:

AHPCRC Preprint 95-003: A data parallel TVD method for sonic boom calculations
by: A. Pilon and A. Lyrintzis
ABSTRACT: Sonic boom predictions are shown for the near- and mid-field, and comparisons are made with experimental data. The computations are performed on the Thinking Machines' CM-5 massively parallel supercomputer to utilize its large available memory and high floating point performance. A second order accurate total variation diminishing scheme is used to solve the Euler equations in the computations. Additionally, a recently developed implicit method, based on the LU-SGS algorithm, is used to speed the convergence and accuracy of the steady state computations. The method is shown to work well on near- and mid-field sonic boom predictions for several test cases.

Who needs real life when you can simulate it on a supercomputer. :D
Peace
John

Last edited:
You wouldn't want to be exposed to 300dB

Approx. dB level
Examples

The Quietest sound you can hear

Whisper, quiet library

Normal conversation, sewing machine, typewriter

Lawnmower, shop tools, truck traffic; 8 hours per day is the maximum exposure (protects 90% of people.

Chainsaw, pneumatic drill, snowmobile; 2 hours per day is the maximum exposure without protection.

Sandblasting, loud rock concert, auto horn; 15 minutes per day is the maximum exposure without protection.

Gun muzzle blast. jet engine; noise causes pain and even brief exposure injures unprotected ears. Maximum allowed noise with hearing protector.

http://www.howardleight.com/Industrial/education/NoiseLevelsAndFrequency.html

OSHA's levels are slightly different:

95 dB - 4 hours
100 dB - 2 hours
110 dB - 30 minutes
120 dB - 7.5 minutes

Last edited:
Concerning the atomic bomb, it's not a sound weapon as such, but it does produce a very intense shock wave (can I assume that most of you have seen that film of a house hit by the shock wave from an atomic bomb). The major practical difference between a sound bomb and an atomic bomb of equal intensity, AFAIK, is the radioactive crud that gets everywhere.
Does anyone know of some way to convert equivalent megatons of TNT into dB?

BTW, did anyone else have just a little trouble understanding that supercomputer abstract?

IdeaMagnate said:
BTW, did anyone else have just a little trouble understanding that supercomputer abstract?

If you want to understand it, here are a few clarifications...

They made some measurements on sonic booms at some time and have a computer model that they are comparing to them. The notion of near-, mid- and far-field are not always well defined in acoustics, but are a function of frequency and the size of the source. Simply knowing that the model matches over some range is all that is really important from that.

The 2nd order accurate total variation diminishing scheme would imply that non-linear effects are taken into account. This is sort of a given, as shock waves are non-linear effects. (In most acoustic problems, a linearized wave equation is used, and higher order effects are ignored) The Euler equation is a fundamental equation in fluid dynamics and acoustics.

The rest of what they say just implies that they have come up with a good way to make their model converge to a solution in some sort of efficient manner. I don't know anything about the LU-SGS algorithm.

Okay, perhaps I didn't clarify anything, but I think that point is that this computer model does a good job of modeling sonic booms under the conditions that these people were dealing with.

140 DB for gunshots? ugh...

i fire pistols quite a bit, and out at the range i dont even wear earplugs all the time. i had a p90 (.45 pistol) that was bearable when i shot it at the firing range.

but i later found out the error of my ways...

hiking thru the mountains in alaska, i saw a groundhog-type-thingie that was actin pretty bold and not runnin away like most critters do. now, this is in a valley with a bridge running over a 75 foot or so sheer cliff sides to the canyon.

well, i fired the handcannon at the poor li'll bugger and couldn't hear anything for at least 15 minutes. my friend was yelling at me from across the river (maybe 50 ft.) and i couldn't hear a thing... just a niiiiiiiice LOUD ringing.

the moral of the story... dont let evil little critters make you sabotage your hearing, tempting as it may be...

i have no idea how many DB that would be, but it was extremely loud and painful.

My friend had a some of "ear-piercer" sirens in his car (part of an alarm system). They're actually illegal in Canada (I don't know about the U.S.), but they put out a whopping 337Db. They are meant to rupture your eardrums, and will actually cause your ears to bleed. The funny thing was that he sold the car and forgot he had installed 3 of them and only removed 2. He was in a panic for 3 days trying to get hold of the guy that had bought his car, so he could warn him and remove the last siren before anything happened. Luckily the new owner of the car hadn't tripped the alarm accidentally and my friend managed to explain the situation and was allowed to remove it before anything happened. So i'm figuring that 300Db would pretty much do the same thing to your ears.

CrystalMethod said:
My friend had a some of "ear-piercer" sirens in his car (part of an alarm system). They're actually illegal in Canada (I don't know about the U.S.), but they put out a whopping 337Db. They are meant to rupture your eardrums, and will actually cause your ears to bleed.

Not that I'm saying your wrong , but as far as I can remember they don't have a machine out yet that can go up to 337db. I do find this a little hard to belive and I'm sure other will as well.

That would break more than just an eardrum or two, it would totally destroy the car. Even half of that is dangerous (which means a BIG change considering that 8 dB +/- doubles the perceived intensity).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back