• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wut would 300db sound like?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
CrystalMethod said:
They could have measured them at a range close enough to give them a super high reading and used one of the two less common scales to give them an "legit" reading that they could stamp on the package. I'm not saying that they actually did go up to 337db, but it was loud enough at the time for us to belive it.

A-weighting a sound pressure level results in a decrease in the reported SPL. The idea is that at low and high frequencies, and at low levels, your ear doesn't hear sounds nearly as well as in middle frequency bands (over the frequency range that is important in understanding speech).

What people here seem to be not understanding is that a sound pressure level of 337 dB is IMPOSSIBLE. A sound pressure level of 337 dB corresponds to an RMS pressure variation of roughly 14 million times atmospheric pressure or a peak pressure amplitude of 20 million times atmospheric pressure. So, we create a vacuum, keep sucking nothing out of it to make some sort of magical place where there is 20 million times less nothing. Then we manage to pressure up to 20 million times atmospheric pressure, and repeat at whatever frequency we are operating at.

I think not.

Not sure how you got your math there, but if it's right, thats some impressive sound levels!! Definatly capable of liquifying (at the very least...) the air!

I know you are wrong on one point though. It wouldn't be 20 million times nothing for the low side, it would 1/20,000,000 of atmospheric pressure. Of course, that is still extremely low. Lemme see here...

1 atmosphere is 101,325 Pascals (1 newton / square meter). 1/20,000,000 of that is 0.00506625 Pascal (0.0001058 pounds/square foot). That's some LOW pressure! :eek: Sounds worse than that cannon you guys were talking about!!

JigPu

IdeaMagnate said:
Does anyone know of some way to convert equivalent megatons of TNT into dB?

One could make a decent guesstimate of it by looking up what the overpressure wave from a large nuclear blast is and then doing the math to figure out what an equivalent dB would be. Bear in mind that while this number is probably impressive, it is dB, not dBA and as such it is hard to tell what a nuclear blast sounds like at the point where the shock wave generates the maximum overpressure.

Setting up a relationship between dB and Mt would be harder since the relationship between (for instance) a 100kT bomb and a 1MT bomb is hardly linear. As you get into the MT range you really face a law of diminishing returns. A 1MT bomb is not 10 times as powerful as a 100kT bomb.

JigPu said:
Not sure how you got your math there, but if it's right, thats some impressive sound levels!! Definatly capable of liquifying (at the very least...) the air!

SPL = 20*log(P/Pref)
Pref = 20*10^-6 for SPL in air

This gives the RMS pressure, so multiply by sqrt(2) to get the peak pressure amplitude.

This gives that magnitude of pressure above and below atmospheric pressure, and for a sine wave input, you have a pressure increase and pressure decease that are symmetrical (according to a simple linear model of sound waves), and we have already concluded that the pressure swings are much larger than atmospheric pressure, so the resulting sound wave would have negative pressures.

300DB would be more intense than being at Ground Zero of a fusion bomb blast. It would literally vaporise you, before your brain even registered the sound you would be reduced to your constituent molecules.

Sorry, you will never hear 300DB:)

Like I said it's just what was on the package when we installed the thing. I wasn't my alarm, so I had no say in what my friend bought. He just showed up with these things and asked me to help him install them.
300DB would be more intense than being at Ground Zero of a fusion bomb blast. It would literally vaporise you, before your brain even registered the sound you would be reduced to your constituent molecules.

..so it comes back down to the question of "If a fusion bomb goes off, and vaporizes everyone around, does it still make a sound?"

no, the real question is...

if a fusion bomb goes off in a forest, and causes a tree to fall...but nobody's around, does it still make a sound?

"a sound pressure level of 337 dB is IMPOSSIBLE"

So was sailing to Inda, and flying, and splitting atoms.
Remember just beacuse we do not know how it is done dosen't mean it can not be. Though I will agree it is mathmaticly improbible, nothing is impossible.

So Basicly your saying your friends car is equipted to handle almost twice the Db's of this van which is Bulletproof to withstand its max of 164 db

Look here

van1.jpg

300DdB is Impossible for a car alarm to achieve my friend.

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back