• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wut would 300db sound like?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooker

Registered
I was wondering wut 300db would sound like. Would it sound like a blower or something like that?

It would be much worse than an F14. More like an atomic bomb blast. It would be incomprehensible, since I think 120db is where ear damage starts to kick in and the db scale is logarithmic

130dB for ear damage I thought, 300dB would tear you limb from limb from the force of the sound waves and reduce your house to rubble too.

Interesting. After wut you guys told me i'm guessing that 6 50db fans wouldnt equal 300 db, right?

Mooker said:
Interesting. After wut you guys told me i'm guessing that 6 50db fans wouldnt equal 300 db, right?
No, as noted dB is a logarithmic scale, not linear. 60dB sounds twice as loud as 50dB, so six 50dB fans is in theory only about 75dB.

Neco said:
I'm surprised the military hasn't used this as a weapon...

heh... Drop a 2000 watt 300db stereo with a tape full of white noise on the enemy:mad:

Where would you find something capable of producing that? In a way they have found it, a device codenamed "the H-Bomb" ;)

ButcherUK said:

Where would you find something capable of producing that? In a way they have found it, a device codenamed "the H-Bomb" ;)
They already developed this weapon, but it was banned under the "strange weapons treaty" they discovered it caused 'nad mutations so it was cruel and unusual!:beer:

ButcherUK said:

No, as noted dB is a logarithmic scale, not linear. 60dB sounds twice as loud as 50dB, so six 50dB fans is in theory only about 75dB.

Not exactly... an increase of 10 dB corresponds to 10x the generated sound power (ie. 10 fans would be required to increase the received sound pressure level by 10 dB). So, 6 fans would only increase things by about 8 dB.

An increase of about 6 dB is generally perceived as being "twice as loud". But, when you start making things louder, they got a lot more annoying really fast.

As far as 300 dB, it is impossible to generate a sound that loud. Shock waves form and energy is dissipated very quickly. It is called acoustic saturation. What you hear would still be loud enough to wreck your ears, but the shock wave would kill you.

ok, hearing damage doesnt start till about 145db, my car stereo, one 12" kicker L7 with 600 watt amp will hit 140 db, and im not even powering it to the max, only reason i cant get it any higher is because my cd player skips BLAH!!!.....yes 300db you would be dead, ripped apart basically

and you all's ideas that when the sound gets up to 50db, the difference between 50-60 db is twice as much, this is kinda right, but when you get up to i think 120 db, every one db increase is twice as loud.

hey NeCo, one of my friends has one (1) 18" sub that will put out 2400 watts RMS.....and this is only a few db louder than my sub, it would take a couple hundred thousand....well prolly a couple million watts of power, running at like 1/100000000 of an ohm load.

Mooker said:

No it wouldn't equal 300db. Back when I was competing in DB Drag I was running 4 100Db amps and was noly hitting 150db. Not to mention the Explorer is (if memory serves me right) Is only between 170-180db on take off.

Last edited:
at that point standard speaker construction would not work i suspect you would need some sort of pezio-eletric type of speaker even than i doubt anything man could make would survive the incredible stress on the system. The milatary is experamenting with several nonliethal wepons one of which uses extreamly low frequency sound waves to casuse disorentation and even loss of bowel control.(yes their is actually a so called "brown noise") they are also testing a wepon that uses a low intensity microwave transmission to cause extreame disablitating pain (like being cooked in a micro wave)

Tbird man said:
at that point standard speaker construction would not work i suspect you would need some sort of pezio-eletric type of speaker even than i doubt anything man could make would survive the incredible stress on the system. The milatary is experamenting with several nonliethal wepons one of which uses extreamly low frequency sound waves to casuse disorentation and even loss of bowel control.(yes their is actually a so called "brown noise") they are also testing a wepon that uses a low intensity microwave transmission to cause extreame disablitating pain (like being cooked in a micro wave)

Yah, i have read about the microwave gun thing. I think it is planned as a riot control device. What it basicaly does is heat the skin to a very high tempeture, but only to a debth of about 1/1000 of an inch, so it doesnt really hurt you.

There's a bit of confusion regarding dB and dBA. 7 volts clears this up pretty well:
- dBA is a weighted curve that compensates for human perception of sound.
- A 3dB increase is about double the physical sound pressure.
- A 8-10dBA increase will double the perceived sound.

Yes... Quite literaly ripped limb from limb. I believe that at appx 180dB death occours. 300dB would be so insanely loud, a 10dB increase (as has been mentioned many times before) doubles the power of the sound wave. So, 300-180=120dB. So basicaly, you are looking at 2^12 (4096) times as powerfull a wave.

Now be thankful you Delta is nowhere near that loud :)
JigPu

JigPu said:
Yes... Quite literaly ripped limb from limb. I believe that at appx 180dB death occours. 300dB would be so insanely loud, a 10dB increase (as has been mentioned many times before) doubles the power of the sound wave. So, 300-180=120dB. So basicaly, you are looking at 2^12 (4096) times as powerfull a wave.

Now be thankful you Delta is nowhere near that loud :)
JigPu

Not really death can occur at around 120-130db`s depends on how low the Hertz are. Mine at full blast at 1hertz could stop a heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back