• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec P180

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Over_maher

Registered
Hi guys

Im looking to put together a system with these kind of spec
e6600 @ 3.5+
Asus P5W DH Deluxe
OCR PC8500
With an Alphacool cool III compact water cooling system.

What are peoples opinions of this case, I could also do with some help in regarding to buying a good PSU for my system. I'm fairly new to overclocking so any information would be most appreciated.

Cheers

WCing the p180 is tricky. P180 is a good case and it just needs some modding for WCing. When I am on my other PC i will reply with pics of my WCing.

The PSU is a different topic. I recommend a 550W unit such as a Seasonic or a PC Power & Cooling Silencer 650. I also have no problems recommending Antec Neo HE 550, 430 for single GPU setups.

What video card do you plan on getting? 8800 GTX?

If you want to spend the money, this PC Power & Cooling PSU or any other PCP&C PSU would be great.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817703005

For overclocking, Just keep volts low enough so u don't overload something and fry it, but if it wants to reboot, it could be too low and it isn't giving enough juice to ram, processor, etc. Run your ram one to one with your processor. Keep temps. low, I would think that anything 45 or lower idle would be good. But it's pretty much preference for where you want your temps. at. Higher FSB is :thup:. Read around a little to find instructions on good overclocking. And last but not least, benchmark to make sure your overclock is stable......Visit Futuremark's website and get PCMark and 3DMark, also get prime95 and run one in large fft and one in small fft, or get any other good benchmarking program.

RangerXLT8 said:
WCing the p180 is tricky. P180 is a good case and it just needs some modding for WCing. When I am on my other PC i will reply with pics of my WCing.

The PSU is a different topic. I recommend a 550W unit such as a Seasonic or a PC Power & Cooling Silencer 650. I also have no problems recommending Antec Neo HE 550, 430 for single GPU setups.

What video card do you plan on getting? 8800 GTX?
Probably best to see when the P182 is coming out. It's been improved so it's made to be compatible with WC systems and is easier to route cables from the PSU compartment.

i HAD a P180 and unlike many people, I hated it. I think it's cause it was one of the first revisions and it had ungodly amounts of defects. the sidepanel tabs to hold it onto the case broke off as soon as i took them out. the steel was sharp and cut my fingers. I had ZERO room with a Powerstream 520. I could never get the wiring clean and there wasn't enough airflow with the over. There's more problems but I'm not supposed to be on OCforums so i won't post too much.

Maybe it's just me because my friend has had an awesome experience with his but he got the newest revision.

Just be careful with your PSU selection. I have an OCZ Powerstream 520 and had to remove the fan in the lower chamber. The PSU wires were too close to it for my comfort. Also, the ATX connector is stretched pretty tight from my OCZ to the mobo due to the lower chamber and the slots that the PSU connectors have to run through.

I am currently looking for a good deal on a Black CM Stacker 830 right now...........

p180

dude the p180 is amazing case it is so quiet and sexy. if you buy a good quality psu like antec or mushkin or thermaltake the wires should be long enough to reach your board. other than the psu deal its great :D

I like mine but I felt like it needed a fair amount of modding to be its best. For example, I made a few cutouts to route the 8-pin CPU power cable from the PSU area to the top of the motherboard area routing it behind the motherboard tray. If you are in to doing some case modding and cutting you'll like it, if you just want something that will be at its best straight out of the box you may want to look elsewhere. As already stated though, the P182 version looks like it will fix some of the shortcomings.

Anyone know if the PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 will fit in the p180 case? I like the look and options of the case and was thinking of including it in my next build.

I was thinking of using either the PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 or the PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 but didn't know if I would runn into trouble with the case? I am leaning toward the 750 just to future proof for the next gen video cards.

Thanks...

Whoo Hoo... My 1st post here... I'm building a new office system for myself (my daughter will get my old LPII system) and was interested in a quiet case too. I've been taking my time routing the cables and such and think I'm just about done. BTW the P180 is REALLY quiet compared to my current Antec SOHO mid tower and it's 80mm fans... here's a quick pic of my system as it stands...
P180.JPG

Heres the best I could get my p180b wired.

img0763largefc5.jpg

Well that one I looked at last week in the local PC parts store is flimsy as heck. That was the main reason I avoided it. I liked everything else though.

Avoid Antec power supplies for the most part. There are several threads in the Cases and Power Supplies area.

Audioaficionado said:
I liked the internals but hated the flimsy plastic front panel and door.
So funny you mention that. First door I had, warped and Antec replaced it. Second door, one of the nubs on the hinge broke, door wouldn't stay on so I got ****ed and int he trash IT WENT.

I have one sitting next to me about to be de-riveted. :) So much room in there!

For a stock case it looks great, but has so much modding potential! Out with the internal drive bays, a dremel cut here and there, insert tripple rad, and still have room for 2 optical bays!

Back