• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

show off your htpc!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I actually just built this last night in an old E-Machine slim ITX case.

Mobo: ASUS N3050T
Memory: Corsair DDR3 1600 8GB(4GBx2)
HDD: Transcend 64GB mSATA SSD
PSU: Dell 90W AC adapter
Optical: LG Blu-Ray combo drive SATA

Operating System: Windows 7
Software: Windows Media Center, Plex Home Theatre, Chrome

So far super quiet as the only moving parts are the Blu-Ray drive and the tiny embedded fan on the CPU heatsink.

A180-3160-01.jpg

N3050T.jpg

IMG_1036.JPG

nope, ditched mine for an Amazon Fire TV, never looking back.

The primary reason I see with still having one is for the Windows 10/Xbox One in-home streaming, it works fairly well even on this low-end weak APU and over wireless N.

The primary reason I see with still having one is for the Windows 10/Xbox One in-home streaming, it works fairly well even on this low-end weak APU and over wireless N.

you can nvidia stream to the firetv no problem 1080 30fps or 720 60fps i occasionally play games on mine with a 360 controller as the gen1 firetv supports them.

you can nvidia stream to the firetv no problem 1080 30fps or 720 60fps i occasionally play games on mine with a 360 controller as the gen1 firetv supports them.

But to my knowledge you can't stream the Xbox One to it. Unless I'm wrong on that.

Probably haven't turned it on in almost a year, and currently unplugged (Smart TV and I've been watching mainly Netflix)

xglvwC9h.jpg

Zotac ZBox AD04-U, AMD E-450/6320 on board.

Got it in college, was on sale ($240 down to $200) and Newegg kicked in a free 64GB AData SP900 ($75 at the time). Had a few spare sticks of DDR3 laptop DIMMs and grabbed a copy of Win7 through my college for $15. So for a grand total of $215, I had a low power, virtually silent bookzise PC with onboard wifi, bluetooth, USB3, SATA III, HDMI, Displayport, optical TOSLINK, IR Dongle, gigabit ethernet, and enough power to drive HD video streamed from my NAS (if using WMPC). With an SSD and those low power APUs being slightly quicker clock for clock than the early Atoms, it's actually pretty snappy, and didn't have any complaints using it as a daily PC for a few weeks when the PSU blew in my desktop.

Might turn it into a steam streaming front end type deal if it's powerful enough at some point.

Last edited:
This is a project that I've been wanting to do for a long time, but I've been putting off. I've had this idea of using a small PC hooked to a TV for watching movies/shows and playing games, but didn't fully flesh out the idea. Recently, I purchased a couch and recliner for the living room, and decided this was the time to get this project going.

Thus begins Project Little Overkill.

Components:

LG 47LB6300 47-Inch TV
2x wireless Xbox 360 controllers with charging base
Wireless base for the controllers

Silverstone ML06B
Intel I3-4130T 1150 socket processor
Gigabyte Mini ITX GA-B85N
GSkill Ares 8gb DDR3
Silverstone ST30SF 300w
Crucial M500 120gb mSATA SSD

This will be primarily used for watching movies and shows, but I'll also be using this for emulation so my roommate/guests can play games.

IMG_0330.jpg IMG_0420.jpg IMG_0425.jpg

In this age of cheap streaming boxes such as the Fire TV, Apple TV, Raspberry Pi, etc. is anybody else still dedicating computers as HTPCs in 2016? I'd like to see what you've built. So I'm reviving this thread.

I recently upgraded my old Core 2 setup for my HTPC with a cheapo Fry's combo consisting of some board-of-the-week that they had on sale with an A4-7300 for $50, my first AMD build in about ten years. Running Windows 10 it's fairly snappy and with the Start screen set to fullscreen like how 8 was I have to say I'm pretty happy with it as far as a HTPC goes. I've always felt that the Windows 8-style Start screen was ideal for a ten-foot interface for a TV.

Still using mine. Has the latest version of Kodi on it, and it's wife-friendly. Haven't had the need to update it yet.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...-ML04B-build?p=7611217&viewfull=1#post7611217

proxy-php.jpg

proxy-php277.jpg

proxy-php475.jpg

These are a bit older pics it has since been upgraded to an intel 7260AC wifi card with actual antennas.

Since this thread has gotten so little love, here's my HTPC. It's a Raspberry Pi 3.
32 GB Ram. My Passport 1TB drive with all my movies and tv shows. My mp3 collection is in there also. Mp3 are played by Logitech Squeeze Box Radio. The Rpi is also the SBR server. The Rpi is headless with control being handled by my Android phone with WIFI. Management OS and software is from Max2Play
RPi Media server.jpg

Not currently being used as an HTPC, but a new super small mini ITX build:

• Cooler Master Elite H110 Mini ITX Case
  • ASRock Z370M-ITX/ac Mini ITX Motherboard
  • Delidded Intel i7-8700K 6c/12t CPU @ 4.9 GHz
  • Corsair H5 SF Mini Water Cooler
  • Intel 128GB PCIe NVME Boot Drive
  • 16GB (2 x 8GB) G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4-3200
  • Seasonic 350W SFX PSU with SFX to ATX Adapter Plate

The Corsair H5 SF exhaust lines up perfectly with the rear vent just above the I/O panel and the intake fan is directly above the CPU socket. Really tiny case so I had to move the 120mm inlet fan outside of the case, just behind the front panel in order for the H5 SF water cooler to fit. Had to use an SFX PSU to provide some space between the PSU and water cooler. But with the inlet fan bringing in cool air, and the water cooler inlet fan just above the CPU and water block/pump that exhausts out the back, there is good airflow through the tiny box. CPU temps stay in the low 70C range under 100% load as shown below even with the Corsair fan speed limited to keep down the noise. Before delidding, the temps would get above 90C.

I ran it initially with a used EVGA Mini GTX 1060 that I then sold to a friend with an i7-8700 Mini ITX rig I built late last year. Then I picked up a Gigabyte Mini GTX 1070 I used for a few weeks but sold that and am currently using a mighty Asus GTX 1050 with 2GB of GDDR5 in there. I'll probably end up with a 6GB GTX 1060 when I find one cheap enough.

2qbbpmf.jpg

XTU-Temps.jpg

Back