• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where can i get soldering supplies?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Im all over radioshack, they actually have good stuff.

There is a local store here called wintronics that has almost everything you can want also.

Oxalic32 said:
Things like tips for my soldering iron, quality solder, and good cables for soldering. I need to purchase some "high quality single core wire (Kynar)". I saw it at http://www.divineo.cn/cgi-bin/div-cn/xb-wsc1k.html but their price looks way too high. Anyone got suggestion on where to order soldering supplies online?

What kind of soldering iron do you have (tips aren't universal)

And as far as the wire/cables go, I don't think you'll have to buy "Kynar" just to mod your console. Any decent wire should be fine. Though I'm not sure if you should get stranded or solid.

And for solder, again I don't think you need any gold filled solder or anything...just good 60/40 Rosin core solder should be fine. I usually try to get the smallest diameter or solder I can (which is usually .032)

I don't know what size the contacts are that you will be soldering....but I'd recommend getting the finest tipped tip you can get for your soldering iron. If you have really fine soldering and your iron doesn't have fine tips available, it may be worth buying a different iron that does.

BTW, I'm not saying you have to buy something as expensive as this...but a little while back I was searching and searching for a decent soldering iron. I ended up going with a non name brand soldering station(ZD Electronics) , it was only ~$50. Here is the link. I took a gamble on it and it's ended up being a really great soldering station. I can't really speak of it' longevity yet, since i've only had it a few months....but so far it's been great! It also comes with fine tips. And you can get replacement parts real easy for it.

They have a lot of solder and soldering supplies at OSH near my house. They've also got a nice soldering selection at Radio Shack. A side note: Divineo is terrible, so don't order from them.

yeah, jameco is good. That's where I usually get wire. And as for solder....they carry it....otherwise the last roll of solder I got was from radioshack...it's been just peachy.

Radioshack charges way too much for everything. I wouldnt buy that wire from divineo but i may be buying some through another store of similar stuff. I got some from radioshack once and their wire was very springy. I have a weller soldering iron, my old one lasted many many years.

Yes the radio shack iron has a nice tip and perfect watts. really do not have to worry that much about overheating your chips. Do not go cheap on solder either you will regret it

Back