• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Firewall

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Smizack

Dead Boomslang collector
What's a good firewall to use under Xp?
I had BlackIce under 98se and found it to be mostly useless anyway. I've heard Zone Alarm is good. Just getting some suggestions.

ZoneAlarm and Tiny Personal Firewall is what you should have ..

ZoneAlarm is the primary and then you have Tiny to back it up.

I agree with tsunami. ZoneAlarm is free and is probably alot better than the ones you can buy.

I don't really like Microsoft's firewall it was bad for me I mean when it tried to load mirc it took forever since it probably had to go through all these things in the firewall it doesn't give you a change how to config the firewal etc.

tsunami said:
I don't really like Microsoft's firewall it was bad for me I mean when it tried to load mirc it took forever since it probably had to go through all these things in the firewall it doesn't give you a change how to config the firewal etc.

I'm not using Microsoft's firewall then, I need to have controll over it.

Tabasco said:
Norton 2002

working fine say no more..........ok.... I wont......fine.........bye

I wouldn't go with Norton its not any good and they aren't notorious for making good quality firewalls as ZoneAlarm, Tiny, BlackIce etc.

Zone Alarm assigns a digital ID to an exe you allow through, therefor a trojan or whatnot cannot rename itself iexplore.exe and get through your firewall. Tiny Personal Firewall does the same thing as well. To test your firewall, you should go here

http://grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm

and download leaktest and try it. If it gets through, a trojan can.

His scoreboard of various firewalls

http://grc.com/lt/scoreboard.htm

And an excerpt for all the people relying solely on their hardware router

The HOT setup . . .
My specific recommendations are, of course, subject to moment-to-moment change and reconsideration in this highly dynamic Internet security market. However, today — as for the past six months — there is no better and more secure solution than running a single, external, Linksys NAT router — providing redundant external intrusion protection — coupled with copies of the FREE ZoneAlarm firewall — providing the PC industry's most comprehensive internal extrusion management.

(Note: The money you save by running the free ZoneAlarm firewall
on multiple computers more than pays for a Linksys router!)

We note that this solution does not offer the additional features of parental control, advertising, and cookie blocking offered by, for example, Symantec's NIS product line, but Symantec's solutions are not free, and they all currently fail to provide comprehensive internal extrusion protection.

You can check out Steve's Site at http://www.grc.com He is one of the leading internet security professionals.

Back