• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I pad mod D960 CPU from 800FSB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Derek8819

Can it be done guys? I have a stock dell motherboard, I changed out the cpu from the D815 to a D960, but would like to pad mod it for a few more mhz? Can it be done?

yes it can.. but
you would need the CPU to be able to boot at VID vcore for the clock (a pad mod can increase the VID vcore if needed), the mobo would need to support a higher FSB then 800 and the PSU would need to be able to handle the overclocked CPU.

greenmaji said:
yes it can.. but
you would need the CPU to be able to boot at VID vcore for the clock (a pad mod can increase the VID vcore if needed), the mobo would need to support a higher FSB then 800 and the PSU would need to be able to handle the overclocked CPU.

Also, the CPU would have to be capable of running at 4.8GHz which I doubt that this is going to happen with stock cooling in a Dell (or any system with air cooling for that matter). Your best bet would be to try a PentiumD 925 3.0GHz. If you try anything higher you might end up booting into OS but I doubt that you would be stable. There is a special way you have to do BSEL mod for it to work with Cedar Mill and Presler so PM me if you need details.

Well the dell is a BTX box, I know it will be cool with the huge hsf on it. also the 960 I am using is an experimental model that has a variable multiplier, but the dell bios wont let me do anything with it, but the SST works. Anyway, I am up for give it a try seeing if it will boot, what pads do I need to connect? if it doesnt work I can just take the conductive pen tracing off right?

Derek8819 said:
Well the dell is a BTX box, I know it will be cool with the huge hsf on it. also the 960 I am using is an experimental model that has a variable multiplier, but the dell bios wont let me do anything with it, but the SST works. Anyway, I am up for give it a try seeing if it will boot, what pads do I need to connect? if it doesnt work I can just take the conductive pen tracing off right?

I wasn't trying to say the cooling in that system isn't good (I know from experience that it is) but 4.8GHz is a bit much to expect.

Refer to the picture below. Someone who has never pin modded a Preser/CedearMill will probably chime in and tell you to it differently but if you want it to have a chance of working you'll need to do it as explained. Insulate BSEL1 which is the red pin (very small piece of scotch tape will work). Then you need to run a trace of silver paint from the BSEL2 (the yellow pin) to BSEL1 (it will be on top of the tape). Make sure that you cover the red dot pretty well with the paint and also pay special attention to the gap (caused by the tape) because it's hard to get a good trace over the gap.

LGA775Underside.jpg

The VID portion of your mod changes depending on the stock VID of the CPU.

And what VID was that mod for?

I would say that the MOSFETS probably wont be able to handle the current...So its a little risky...

greenmaji said:
yes.. but that changes the VID padmod

I didn't even mention a VID mod so I'm not sure what you're trying to say. I realize that the VID connections (or insulations) needed to set a new voltage depend on what the starting voltage happens to be.

From that picture above, the three BSEL pins are in the bottom right corner. The six VID pins are up in the top left corner. The VID pins are simply highlighted in bright colors to show where they're located (wasn't trying to say that the VID pins should be connected or anything).

Last edited:
jsmandrsm, just to clarify, doing this mod will net me 1066FSB correct? I am not at my computer right now, I am in new orleans, but I think the ES chip multi varies from 11x to 16x does that sound right?

hmmm.......ok, I guess i can give it a shot. like ps2cho said, would that be an issue at those speeds?

hmmm.......ok, I guess i can give it a shot. like ps2cho said, would that be an issue at those speeds?

Back