• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC3200 Ram - Change Timings?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lancingfury

My ram states that it can run at 2-3-3-6, but my motherboard automatically chooses worse settings. Is it safe to try running it at the spec the mfg. (corsair) states?

Also, my motherboard will only let me set it as low as 2-5-3-6. Is there a way to get the second number lower?

Thanks

If it is rated at 2-3-3-6 then it should run at those timings in most boards @ 200 MHz. That TwinX likes some voltage. To get the stock timings it will need 2.75 to 2.8 volts most likely. My mobo did not pick up the correct SPD on those modules either so just set them manually.

Thanks!

Well, it's running great at 2.71V, 2-5-2-5, but my mobo still refuses to let me set the second number below 5, even when I use the adjust manually option. Any ideas? Any chance I need to raise the memory clock before it will let me change the second number?

I can't get Memtest to tell me. When I try to access certain things it says "Chipset not supported." (The motherboard is a ECS KN1 Extreme)

lancingfury said:
I can't get Memtest to tell me. When I try to access certain things it says "Chipset not supported." (The motherboard is a ECS KN1 Extreme)

Are you running Memtest86? From a DOS boot disk or CD?

lancingfury said:
Yes, it is memtest86. Downloaded, compiled in Linux, installed, added to grub boot menu, selected at bootup.

Ok, are you running the standard test and it won't run? I was under the impression the chipset didn't matter from a boot disk but looks like I'm wrong. :(

lancingfury said:
It runs, it just won't show me the timings.

I never figured it would do that. Learned something today! I thought for sure because of using a boot disk it would bypass any odd chipsets. Don't know what to tell you now...........

However your machine is running ok but you can't change timings probably because of the odd chipset. It could be worse......right? ;) I don't know of any alternative.

lancingfury said:
Well, the chipset isn't odd at all, it's very common. It's an NForce 4 Ultra.

Lance,

I'd ask the DFI guys on the motherboard area. They're pretty sharp over there. Someone has to have your same chipset and used Memtest.

Ok, thanks. For now, is there any other advice, ignoring memtest86, that anyone can give about my ram situation? any chance that cpuz is wrong?

Back