• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Crosshair

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jtec

Hi all, im new to system building and after some time thought id purchase some half decent hardware and build my own computer. Ive run in to a problem though

My system is as follows.

Asus crosshair
AMD AM2 Athlon 64 5200 + Dual Core 2
1 x Gainward bliss 7900gs 256mb
2 x 512mb corsair xms2 6400 (800mhz) DDR2
320gb western digital sata hd
700w psu

When i turn the power on all i get is the fans running and a "cpu init" in the LCD poster display. Processor is seated right, gfx has power from the extra cable, ram is seated right, connection to the hd is right.

Could someone please help as the Asus forums dont seem to work?

Welcome to O/C Forums! :welcome:

I don't know much about the Crosshair mobo, but have you tried booting with just 1 stick of ram? Also if this is your first build, that mobo might need a bios update. If you can get it to start-up with only 1 stick of ram, I suggest getting the latest bios for it because of the 5200 you have.

Have you cleared the cmos before starting it up?

Thanks for the quick reply and the welcome Nebulous. Ive tried 1 stick in each dimm, and i have also cleared the cmos. Its still stuck in cpu init, my gfx card fan is going and my hd is running, but i cant see nothing onscreen, also noticed usb not working. Mouse lights up normally but its dead.

I guess i cant update the bios without actually seeing the screen can i?

Must be a hardware issue as no matter what i try nothing seems to work and the lcd poster stays on "cpu init" Its now deciding to power down after a few seconds also. :(

Hmm, take the cpu out and check for bent pins. I'm sure you were careful installing the cpu in the socket, but you never know. Freakier things have happen.
Also did you make sure all the connections to the mobo from the psu are connected?

Nebulous - Yep mate, checked all pins on the processor, all straight. Also everything is getting power, processor, heatsink, gfx card (with extra power from 6 pin female adaptor) harddrive, dvd drive.

QuietIce - No bleeps im afraid :rolleyes: seems the case (antec nine hundred) doesnt use the 4 pin speaker adaptor (only has 2) that my motherboard states to plug into. The heatsink is the standard amd one i recieved with the processor. No paste is on there yet.

Sry chum, but I'm afraid that the board and/or cpu is defective. I'm leaning towards the board as they're the ones that are defective more over the cpu. See if you can get a replacement board first. I'm sure my colleague (QuietIce) will agree :)

Thats what i was thinking, just stuck in cpu init and ive tried everything i and you guys can think of. Will send both processor and motherboard back just to be on the safe side of not having a new board when the processor could be at fault. Thanks for your help and time guys

Thanks very much!

Will deffo keep you updated on how it goes. Really enjoyed building it and hopefully will have it running in time for armed assault :bday:

I had same problem. It was caused by metal mounting frame of Blue Orb shorting on PCB.
Blue Orb had no spacers provided to insulate metal from board, installed some and it worked flawlessly.

jtec said:
Nebulous - Yep mate, checked all pins on the processor, all straight. Also everything is getting power, processor, heatsink, gfx card (with extra power from 6 pin female adaptor) harddrive, dvd drive.

QuietIce - No bleeps im afraid :rolleyes: seems the case (antec nine hundred) doesnt use the 4 pin speaker adaptor (only has 2) that my motherboard states to plug into. The heatsink is the standard amd one i recieved with the processor. No paste is on there yet.
The speaker plugs for many cases are just two single leads. The four pin plugs only have two wires on them (at least all mine do) that go to the outside pins of the four. When you get your board back (or before sending it??) you might try plugging in your speaker wires to the outside pins of the four shown - polarity doesn't really matter AFAIK ...

Just noticed that they are mic cables. Antec nine hundred does not have a speaker. I've also just found out some information on another forum that the crosshair doesnt support the amd 5200 "out of the box" Seems the Bios is out dated and needs to be flashed to the december version or newer for my processor to be reconised. The big problem is that i cannot flash the bios due to the fact my processor isnt reconised (doh!)

So now my only hope is to go down to the local computer shop and see if they will let me borrow a cpu so i can download and update my bios (Asus support by the way is terrible and really needs to be sorted out)

I have the Crosshair and the 5200+ and did not have to update the Bios. I did have the same issues myself, I just can't remember off the top of my head how I resolved it. I will think about this some and try to remember what I had to do.

I'm having the same problem, mine just says CMOS ERROR instead, I get no boot screen or anything... Can it be that this board doesnt like corsair RAM?

System:
AMD Athlon X2 5600+
Corsair XMS2 PC8500 Dominator
ASUS Crosshair
XFX GeForce 7950GT

Any suggestions are appreciated

Cown said:
I'm having the same problem, mine just says CMOS ERROR instead, I get no boot screen or anything... Can it be that this board doesnt like corsair RAM?

System:
AMD Athlon X2 5600+
Corsair XMS2 PC8500 Dominator
ASUS Crosshair
XFX GeForce 7950GT

Any suggestions are appreciated
I assume you've tried clearing the cmos?

Vulcan said:
I assume you've tried clearing the cmos?

Idd...

The machine works now... This has got to be the most wack error ever... My screen didnt show the boot screen because I was using DVI instead of analog and the screen was set to use analog, so all I had to do was press the auto button on the monitor to get a boot screen :bang head

Back