• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats killing my PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WejRepus

Ok, so last week I finished my first build in about 2 years, and a pretty nice system too.
However, late last week, while installing Vista on my second partition, the PC shut down and wouldn't boot back up. All MB lights were on and the fans would sputter once and then nothing would happen. I assume busted PSU, take out my tester, and low and behold, the PSU wont start up. I return the busted one and get a new one. It came this morning, I tested it before putting it in, and it worked. So i plug it all in, and BAM, dead PSU. So, what could be killing it?:mad: :confused: :mad:

Here is my build:
Silverstone TJ07
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1Kilowatt PSU
Intel Bad Axe 2
Intel QX6700
4GB Corsair Dominator
2x BFG 8800GTX

Maybe the PSU you chose is a dud,.. isn 1k watt a bit overkill?

I'd say if its not a faulty PSU model then probably one of the GFX cards

Because you have had two excellent-grade PSUs blow up on you, I am inclined to think that you could have a faulty outlet in your house. I'm no electrician, but I've heard of outlets that overload whatever you plug into them. Do you have a surge protector that your computer is plugged in to?

Man there could be a number of ways to short it out(Mobo moved on one of its standoffs), but doesn't it have a reset breaker on the back of it to ptotect it?

Thats a wicked nice rig by the way.

dfonda said:
Man there could be a number of ways to short it out(Mobo moved on one of its standoffs), but doesn't it have a reset breaker on the back of it to ptotect it?

Thats a wicked nice rig by the way.

see, i had ruled out a Mobo short out, because it ran fine for ~4 days before it died on me.

That was a hypothetical.

Well unless you have had two first class psu fry on there own it has to be something shorting it out. A short like that should produce some fireworks tho. No?

Thats about a three hour job to take it apart and put it all back together, thats what I would do next.

Since its sorta free.

You have to wait on the next PSU anyway right. Or try for the third and post back.

Keep us informed cause I know I am darn curious. Oh and do you have a different surge protector you can use. Also a different receptacle just in case. At least temporarily.

Its not drawing enough to kick the breaker off right. Stick a hairdryer into the suregprotector and test it out that'll be one of the few things that is portable and uses more then 1000W.

Last edited:
Back