• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDC-2 quit last night

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
SolidxSnake said:
There is no threaded version, at least from Laing. The only threaded DC Pumps they have are the D4 and D5.
It continues to boggle my mind how people will speak as if they know what they're talking about without doing any research to confirm what they're saying.

From the DDC PDF found at the Laing Germany website...

ddcthreaded.jpg

When these pumps first came out there was a thread where Marci commented that he thought that the top inlet should not be enlarged. I think that he was on to something. I wonder if any of the after market top manufactures ran their designs by any engineers to validate the inlet size increase?

This really is beginning to make me wonder if there isn't an issue with petras top. The Alphacool tops are used throughout Europe and seem to be very common there. If there was some huge issue with them, I'm sure that would have been known by now. It would be a nice option if the 1/4" male threaded top was readily available. I hadn't seen that top before. It took me a while of Googling to find that pdf file.

I searched for that part number for quite a while and only found one company online that has it listed in the US. I might give them a call Monday to see if they have just the tops available or if not, what pump version they sell them with and whether or not they sell to individuals or are just a high volume distributor.

voigts said:
This really is beginning to make me wonder if there isn't an issue with petras top. The Alphacool tops are used throughout Europe and seem to be very common there. If there was some huge issue with them, I'm sure that would have been known by now. It would be a nice option if the 1/4" male threaded top was readily available. I hadn't seen that top before. It took me a while of Googling to find that pdf file.
I use the Alphacool top and my DDC-2TPMP recently died, it started stalling until you tapped on it. I sent it back to DD and they replaced the pump. My old one was an 03/06 manufacture and the new one is a 01/07.

I know mine was not overheating as I had heat sinks on the bottom of it with a 120mm Yate blowing on them. Every time that I checked it was only barely warm.

Graystar said:
It continues to boggle my mind how people will speak as if they know what they're talking about without doing any research to confirm what they're saying.

From the DDC PDF found at the Laing Germany website...

ddcthreaded.jpg

I went to the Laing website and couldn't find it there. It was the US website.

SolidxSnake said:
I went to the Laing website and couldn't find it there. It was the US website.
That’s okay, just ask about. Say something like, “I couldn’t find any info on that and I’d like to check out the specs...do you have a link?” But don’t tell me I’m wrong. That annoys the crap outta me and then I take on a snippy tone, for which I apologize.

I'll keep that in mind.

That being said, where the hell do we find those? Seeing as voigts only found one dealer, I don't see those becoming an item in abundance to us WC enthusiasts.

SolidxSnake said:
where the hell do we find those?
I'm banking on voigts (go voigts! :thup: )

But really...considering that no one has demonstrated that flow beyond 1 GPM is truly better, I'm think I'm gonna use 3/8" tubing and not worry about it. You can easily get flow beyond 1 GPM with 3/8" tubing, and it's easier to route. That's good enough for me!

Oh cmon now Graystar, you are the one that I have adamantly see argue for the importance of using 1/2" tubing! ;)

I like my 1/2" myself. My case is big so routing isn't an issue anyway. Then again in that small computer I have seen you post pics of I can see why you would use 3/8".

I am actually considering hardlining my system when I take it apart in the near future to upgrade to a Conroe setup. I found a 5/8" pipe bender from Harbor Freight for only $5 which should work great for 1/2" copper. I'm probably going to give it a try and see how it goes.

Graystar said:
I'm banking on voigts (go voigts! :thup: )

But really...considering that no one has demonstrated that flow beyond 1 GPM is truly better, I'm think I'm gonna use 3/8" tubing and not worry about it. You can easily get flow beyond 1 GPM with 3/8" tubing, and it's easier to route. That's good enough for me!

Lol... Europeans have been saying this all along...

voigts said:
Oh cmon now Graystar, you are the one that I have adamantly see argue for the importance of using 1/2" tubing! ;)
Yeah you're right. Stick with 1/2"...can't possibly hurt. What do Europeans know anyways! :p

So far no luck on finding the DDC 1 or 2 with the 1/4" npt threads on the top. I called the one US distributor, and they don't have it available on their parts list. I have a call in to another and nothing there either.

I've seen plenty of failures of DDC's using Alphacool tops... it's nothing unique to a particular modded top... tends to be a case of ANY modded top reduces the reliability of the pump long-term.

That said, I haven't personally had a failure with any of the DDC's I use with modded top, and have been using since the day Alphacool released the aforementioned top.

I have been running my 2 DDC's with the alpha tops for 8 months now or so, no issues what so ever.

[O-CuK]Marci said:
I've seen plenty of failures of DDC's using Alphacool tops... it's nothing unique to a particular modded top... tends to be a case of ANY modded top reduces the reliability of the pump long-term.
I would think an aftermarket top that preserves the orginal geometry of the impeller chamber wouldn't hurt longevity much. Do any of the current tops come close? I wonder what the failure rate is like for DDC's with Robotech's DIY mod.

I can understand why an aftermarket maker couldn't do this (copywrites, patents, lawsuits etc), but If I were to use one of these pumps (which I don't) I'd probably make a silicone mold of the original and cast my own top with with acrylic casting resin...it sure beats trying to program the complicated geometry.

Just a thought.

Diggrr said:
I can understand why an aftermarket maker couldn't do this (copywrites, patents, lawsuits etc), but If I were to use one of these pumps (which I don't) I'd probably make a silicone mold of the original and cast my own top with with acrylic casting resin...it sure beats trying to program the complicated geometry.

Just a thought.

I had looked into doing that exact thing. It looked to me that it was going to be kind of costly to do, and also I could never get a good answer as to how resin compares to cast acrylic.

Also, if you look at the original top vs what you have to do to make it work 1/2" inlet and outlet barbs, it complicates the idea of casting as the exit channel has to widen out to accommodate the 1/2" barbs, whereas with the stock top the exit is a straight tube.

I got a call back from one distributor listed on Laing's website. They want $124 for a DDC with the NPT fittings. Forget that!

Back