• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDC-2 quit last night

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Maviryk said:
I've got accuracy of +/- .001 inches. Was planning on scanning petra's top to the original this weekend.

I really want to see that especially given the frequent posts about impellers sticking with Petras top. I have made my own top that I modeled after the original and haven't had a bit of trouble. I have noticed in making mine that if the top isn't made right, it isn't hard for the impeller to stick. I have wondered if there is an issue with the way he has made his top, or if it is just coincidence.

ahbroody said:
Not to hijack but, do you guys think this pump is more or less reliable than a danger den mag 2. The Mag2 would be easier for me to use with less modifications for my plan.

Ahbroody

Not really, failures are still very rare for the DDC. Now if this second one fails, I will probably have a different opinion!

ahbroody said:
Not to hijack but, do you guys think this pump is more or less reliable than a danger den mag 2. The Mag2 would be easier for me to use with less modifications for my plan.

Ahbroody

I've heard plenty of stories of a bunch of mag's (if i remember correctly) being loud as heck on arrival, but if you get a good mag2 then you'll be fine, but often after you average in the price for RMA's and that stuff if you do get a bad one, might as well gotten a DDC.

but theres no question about it, a DDC is more reliable then a mag2. but then there are some amazing mag pumps, and some crappy DDC pumps.

See thats why I cant decide. In order to use the DDC I will have to mod it or use the aftermarket top. I can likely get petras which is local to me to order me the mag2 and they are real cool about if the equipment has issues you can just take it back. However they also stock the DDC and there mod top. The mag2 will require no modding and would work perfect. I guess there is good and bad in each one.

I am guessing these DDC pumps have a 1 year warranty so if you buy the aftermarket top and keep your stock top if there is a problem you can send it back??

Guess I just dont want issues from modding and it seems the jury is still out on whether this mod leads to premature pump failure.

ahbroody said:
See thats why I cant decide. In order to use the DDC I will have to mod it or use the aftermarket top. I can likely get petras which is local to me to order me the mag2 and they are real cool about if the equipment has issues you can just take it back. However they also stock the DDC and there mod top. The mag2 will require no modding and would work perfect. I guess there is good and bad in each one.

I am guessing these DDC pumps have a 1 year warranty so if you buy the aftermarket top and keep your stock top if there is a problem you can send it back??

Guess I just dont want issues from modding and it seems the jury is still out on whether this mod leads to premature pump failure.

From what I'm assuming (stock tops differ from aftermarkets due to the shape of the impeller chamber), modding the stock top won't do anything. If you're so paranoid, I'd prob get a used DDC and a broken DDC, and then mod one of the tops to 1/2".

Temperature Shutdown helps. Most new motherboards have it...I don't understand why this happens. Did yours not have it?

jcw122 said:
Temperature Shutdown helps. Most new motherboards have it...I don't understand why this happens. Did yours not have it?

It did shut down, eventually. :p
As suggested I'm now using "super fast shutdown" with a MM plugin. Now if it hits 50* for any reason it will shut off immediately.

I'm also adding 2 of these, 1 per pump.

ahbroody said:
Yeah, you could do that. But if you're thinking going into it that there might be a problem with the aftermarket top, it's not very ethical to shift the risk to Laing or Swiftech. One general rule of overclocking is that if you're going to take the risk, you should let it be your own risk. Doing otherwise encourages companies to make it more difficult for us to abuse our hardware as we see fit.

The more threads I read about dead DDC's with Petra's top, the more I think there might really be a problem there. OTOH, I don't think I've seen even one report of a failed pump with Robotech's DIY mod. However, it's possible the problem is really with the 18W DDC, which wasn't available when the DIY mod was the only way to go, and whatever the reason the pump fails, you'll have a hard time getting a warranty replacement if you send it back with a hole drilled in the case. :bang head

Back