• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System Rebooting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phantasm

Ok, last night i manually set my timings to 4-4-4-12. This morning while playing WoW for ~2.5hrs my system rebooted. The CPU temp was 32c and the GPU was 51c. I got the CPU temp from BIOS (core temp says 28c). ANy ideas?

No, this system is new and recently built.
Yes it was 51 in gameplay.
No BSOD.
Before i set the timings it was on auto.
No memtest done on 4-4-4-12.

This is my first time manually setting timings.

Last edited:
phantasm said:
No, this system is new and recently built.
Yes it was 51 in gameplay.
No BSOD.
Before i set the timings it was on auto.
No memtest done on 4-4-4-12.

This is my first time manually setting timings.
Don't bother with memtest. If it was stable enough to run for that long it will probably take memtest forever to detect an error. I'd run orthos on large ffts overnight [if needed] to check your memory stability. If that runs without problem for 16 hours or so then I'd try blend and see what that does.

EDIT: scratch the reuest for details... I totaly missed your sig somehow.

Could be you need a touch more voltage for the ram to run at those timmings, but test with orthos before you try that.

Was this at stock speed?
What is your vcore/vdimm?
How's your case airflow?
Are those gskills gbhz's? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231065 They should be good at 2.1.

The gpu at 51c, loaded? That's pretty cool.
Mine runs a little warmer than that with extra cooling.
The one on the left is without. The one on the right is with the extra cooling.

Attachments

• vfan2.jpg
    vfan2.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 61
When you made the timing change, did you run Orthos or similar stress test to make sure it was stable?

~ Gos

OnDborder said:
Was this at stock speed?
What is your vcore/vdimm?
How's your case airflow?
Are those gskills gbhz's? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231065 They should be good at 2.1.

The gpu at 51c, loaded? That's pretty cool.
Mine runs a little warmer than that with extra cooling.
The one on the left is without. The one on the right is with the extra cooling.

Yes this was at stock speed, case airflow is simple, Cool intake in the front and 2 exhaust's (one above and behind CPU). Right now iam running it with the side open and stock cooling (waiting to hook up the watter cooling). ALl fans are 120mm. I'll reboot and check the vcore/vdimm.

Goshawk said:
When you made the timing change, did you run Orthos or similar stress test to make sure it was stable?

~ Gos

No I didn't. I figured it would be safe considering the memory is rated for it.

edit:

VCORE is 1.280. I couldn't find VDIMM anywhere in BIOS. There is a DRAM Frequency which is at Auto, should i set it to DDR2 800?

Last edited:
Yep, set it to 800. That means your running 1:1 if you have your, if your bios is like mine, cpu freq set at 400.
It wouldn't hurt to bump that vcore up a bit. Shoot, my 6400 wouldn't do 400 at stock. I had to up the voltage.

Ok I set the DRAM Freqeuncy to DDR2 800 and according to CPUZ it still says im running 2:3? I also disabled Speedstep.

Also in CPUZ timings for Memory are listed at 4-4-4-10-12 for 266mhz and then 5-5-5-15-18 for 400mhz?

Ok, in the bios, what are your settings in the "configure cpu settings"? 4th ss down http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4449&s=5..
The modify ratio should be "enabled" to lock the cpu multiplier. The c13, Max cpuid, should be disabled also.. Some have the vanderpool enabled but I don't.
In the AI section, http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4449&s=6, what are your settings? PCI synch should be set to 33.3, spread spectrum>disabled, static read>disabled, and the voltages, you just have to test to see where your system likes it. On the ram timings, the first 4 are the settings that I mess with. So 444,12 or 15 is what I go with.
Seeing that I don't have that board, I'm basically going off on what I'm familiar with which is the p5b bios.
Hope this helps, not hinder...

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. I went into BIOS and made the changes you suggested, CPUZ still reports an FSB/DRAM ratio of 2:3. I also specified the voltage at 2.0v for the memory. I'll run some Orthos for a bit and see if it pops.

Last edited:
Back