• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strongest air cooling for c2d?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

v8440

Hi all,

I'm putting together the stuff to build my first new machine in about 5 years. I'm going core 2 duo this time, using an e6300. I want to stick with air cooling, but I want the best or very close to it. I don't mind fan noise within reason. What cooler and fan should I be shopping for?

By the way, is this cooler very good? Newegg is offering it as a package deal with the motherboard I plan on running, but I'll pass on the cooler if it's not at or near the top performance-wise.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835193001

I've never seen that Asus heatsink before but I will also go with Surfrider77 and say for you to buy another, more proven brand. The Tuniq Tower 120 is a great choice, as is the Thermalright Ultra 120 and the Thermaltake Big Typhoon (with a better fan than the included one for the original BT). If you are space limited in your case the Thermalright XP90-C with a 92mm Delta 3 blade high speed is also a very good choice too.

Ok, thanks folks. I just ordered the tuniq tower from xoxide.com. They were the cheapest I could easily find that had it in stock. Many places did not have it. Total cost including shipping is $62.84-not a bad deal apparently.

You can't imagine how much I look forward to getting the new system built and running. My current setup is an athlon xp running at 2305 mhz. It's no slouch, but it's just not in the same league as what you can build now. Here's a comparison of what I'm planning on building vs what I have now:

Now building
CPU athlon xp @ 2305 6300 c2d at ~ 3400 mhz
Mem 1.5 GB ddr@ 200 Mhz 2 GB ddr2@ ~ 525 mhz
HDD 2 ide 7200 rpm drives 4 matrix raid 0/10 perp drives
video geforce 7800 gs o/c unknown yet

As you can see, the hard drive throughput will be multiplied by approximately 4 and maybe a bit more since I'll be putting the raid 0 part on the fastest part of the drives. The difference in cpu power speaks for itself, same on the memory. All of this running xp pro-it ought to be pretty responsive.

With the ultra 120 you can possibly go passive =). or you can get a yate loon and just use that. i get about 41 with a yate loon on it, and about 50 passive (load) Though since you inquired for the strongest heatsink, ultra 120 works well a strong fan. So getting a u120 with a panaflo fan like this one http://svc.com/fba12g12u.html you will get super low temps. Then again you might go deaf =). (be careful that fan is sharp! believe me, my toe hates that fan! lol)

Last edited:
I also just bought a TT120, and all I can say is it works great. Temps are awesome, it does get a little noisy if you crank it up, but my pc was already really loud so there wasn't much of a change.

Back