• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

utorrent problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I am now using Kaspersky Internet security, im running windows XP no SP :(, still gotta update, my ISP is www.plus.net.

What is the point of using a router, its a family PC and I realy dont have the budget to buy a router just to ensure better security.

OK if you do not understand what a router does how can we help you. Look it up. It protects you. Especially having a pre sp XP install. I am going to assume you are behind some sort of firewall because you are not having any problems because if you truly were without a firewall/router you would be all kinds of infected.

OK after looking on your providers site I see this: http://www.plus.net/support/security/firewalls/firewallfaq.shtml

When you turn it off make sure you are either behind a router or have a software firewall on all computers that connect to your connection! And install SP2.

I didn't say I wasn't behind some kind of firewall, Previously to Kaspersky I was using NIS 2007, there hasnt been a point where I wasnt being protected by some kind of software.

OK if you do not understand what a router does how can we help you. Look it up. It protects you.

I understand basically how a router functions and what it does I have several lying around but they are all ethernet routers and cannot be used without some kind of adapter, Im not looking to buy any new hardware as this Isn't my main location that I connect to the net at.

RIPSTER said:
I didn't say I wasn't behind some kind of firewall, Previously to Kaspersky I was using NIS 2007, there hasnt been a point where I wasnt being protected by some kind of software.

I understand basically how a router functions and what it does I have several lying around but they are all ethernet routers and cannot be used without some kind of adapter, Im not looking to buy any new hardware as this Isn't my main location that I connect to the net at.

Now you are getting ridiculous. I found your problem and all you want to do is *****. I can only go by what you post and by what you posted. You said you just started using Kapersky which means you were not using one before. I have asked many questions which you refused to answer. Including about that NIS thing you mentioned.

Tell me why should I continue to help you when are act like you are acting? I was trying to help you by telling you when you turn off your ISP's protection that you need to be protected! Preferably with a router. The fact you have a usb modem can make that difficult. I also suggested to have a software firewall on all computers because if you had more than 1 connected and just put the software firewall on 1 the other would not be protected.

What I want to know is why you haven't looked at the link I posted and set it so that you can use BT? If you are nice maybe I will continue to help you.

Edit: Maybe I am being a bit harsh. I just want to know why you did not mention whether it worked or not. Your ISP has a firewall on their end and you need to set it so that you can use BT.

Last edited:
LOL, you realy got it twisted, I didn't mean to ***** at all, I havn't tried out your solution yet because I only had enough time to reply and not to test out BT after I had switched of the firewall.

As soon as I have tried out BT with my ISP's firewall off I will report back

thnx

Wow it makes me wonder if my ISP also has some kind of server side firewall set up?? Anyone know if Qwest DSL does anything like that? Also Kendan, I believe NIS is Norton Internet Security. I am not personally too fond of it, I got rid of it about 3 years ago and went with a router and Avast, but I can see how a USB modem would make that difficult.

deadlysyn said:
Wow it makes me wonder if my ISP also has some kind of server side firewall set up?? Anyone know if Qwest DSL does anything like that? Also Kendan, I believe NIS is Norton Internet Security. I am not personally too fond of it, I got rid of it about 3 years ago and went with a router and Avast, but I can see how a USB modem would make that difficult.

Thanks. I do not use Norton anything. Just check quest's site and see if they do. This is actually the first I have seen an ISP do it. I usually see them perm block certain ports or severely limit certain types of traffic.

Well I quickly tried the fix, I switched the firewall to low then tried running BT but it still gave the error I screenied in my first post under the logger tab, I tried it with the firewall of aswell but still the same thing.

When I get a chance Ill try leaving a torrent on for a while and checking its progress

thnx

I thought you were trying the test port in Utorrent? Did you set the software firewall to open the port? What ports are you trying?

you cant select specific ports only different groups

there was high, low, off and another group with specific port group and certain protocols e.g. UDP etc

when I get on again i'll try using the other groups and testing BT.

thnx

RIPSTER said:
you cant select specific ports only different groups

there was high, low, off and another group with specific port group and certain protocols e.g. UDP etc

when I get on again i'll try using the other groups and testing BT.

thnx

Turn the ISP side firewall OFF.

What ports are you trying in UTORRENT? (please answer this as I have asked multiple times)

Use a software firewall locally that you have full control over, even the microsoft one.

Update to SP2!

This really is an easy thing to do. You could have tested it in about 30 seconds with the test port thing in utorrent.

I am done. In the future you might want to actually read and answer questions that are asked.

I dont care how senior you are on OCF, or how many damn stars you have, your complaining that I was bitching your whole attitude is wrong, your helping of your own accord so dont try to leave a message like that making it out as if the whole thread was relying on you.

Your friendly OCF Friend

RIPSTER

Well my advice to you is if you want help then you might want to read what is written to you and you might want to answer questions that are asked of you. Especially if you have been asked multiple times. If you don't make any effort to help yourself and to solve your problem then you wont get much help because people can get tired of trying to help people who do not listen, do not answer questions, and are just a pita to try and help.

Good luck with your issues.

Back