• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

utorrent problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RIPSTER

I posted a while ago about slow Utorrent download speeds and I had so many answers but none of them helped, I found this under the logger tab on every torrent I try to download, Im thinking it may explain why I simply cant connect to torrents, and If I do why the download speeds are very slow -

when I test port forwarding under the speed guide window in Utorrent it says that the port Im using Isn't forwarded, but I dont use a router So I cant set up my PC for port forwarding.

any help will be greatly appreciated

thnx

If it doesn't pass uTorrent port forward test, something is holding it back. If you don't run a firewall I assume you're connected straight to a modem? Are you running a windows firewall or 3rd party firewall? (You should be- and that is where you need to port forward) It look like uTorrent is trying to automatically open a port on the windows firewall using UPnP. Try disabling this in uTorrent and manually opening a port and assigning it to uTorrent.

Port forwarding will help speed, but it ultimately depends on the torrent. I've had torrents with only 4-5 seeds give great speed, and I've had some with 50+ seeds are terrible speed.

WeezleXX89 said:
thsi isnt really supposed to be in the be discussed in this forum.

Last 5 torrents iv downloaded were distros for school. torrents are just fine to talk about. its what you download (if its warzes) Then you cant.

i think he put it in this forumn due to the question of how or whether or not he should be forwarding a port, which is very networking related.

It sounds like you have a firewall that's blocking the port. If not, it's possible your ISP is blocking the port for whatever reason. You should be able to change the port though.

wizard james said:
Last 5 torrents iv downloaded were distros for school. torrents are just fine to talk about. its what you download (if its warzes) Then you cant.
QFT. I use my client to download WoW/Halo videos that are put up as torrents.

My ISP is on there but they are only yes for limiting bandwidth for people with high volume and at certain times of day, ive left torrents on for days at a time and still had terrible download speeds.

My modem is a BT Speedtouch 210, its a one Port USB DSL Modem, I very much doubt it is acting as a firewall/router.

RIPSTER said:
My modem is a BT Speedtouch 210, its a one Port USB DSL Modem, I very much doubt it is acting as a firewall/router.

If you doubt it and you don't have another firewall turned on then you should have no problem. You are having a problem so we might as well try to troubleshoot it in a logical manner and not leave out something that could be the issue.

I am having problems finding that modem can you list the complete model number and possibly any other serial number on it.

Also have you tried to change the default port?

Sorry I got the model number wrong the 210 is a router, I just cant remember which model I have, im not at home right now and I cant check, its the most basic model with no extra features, its a DSL USB modem.

I can not see any info pointing towards that modem using NAT. Now you need to find out what is blocking your port.

Have you tried other ports?

Are you running Zone alarm? Or any other firewall software?

Also you should not be using the internet without some form of firewall preferably a router to protect you.

Last edited:
I am using NIS, although its the trial and it has run out :p (gotta find that NIS original disc), this problem has always occured even if NIS has been subscribed to, I have tried other ports, someone suggested using port 455 if I remember correctly but it still didnt work, Ive tried going in to NIS settings and allowing exceptions to the ports being used aswell as adding azuerus/Utorrent to the allow list of internet enabled programs.

What operating system are you using? Why are you not using a router? please give more detail about this NIS that you are referring to. What ISP are you using and please include a link to their website?

My guess is that you are using a firewall.

Back